Temperature shows as asterisk

5 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

The disk recently spun up and temperature wasn't updated yet, by default temps are polled every 30 minutes (1800 secs), which IMO is too much, decrease this to a couple of minutes or so, but not much lower or it can impact performance.

Yes 30 min is definitely way too low. A HDD has significant changes in minutes, and a SSD could potentially be even quicker to change temperature because of the lack of thermal mass.

I quick-checked a Ironwolf-log. SMART claims on one place that the temperature sampling period is 3 minutes and the logging interval is 59 minutes. But when I do look at the temperature log, the recent entries are very minute and the older history entries are every 59 minutes. And I can see at least 4-5°C ramp-up or ramp-down between the single-minute readings. If a fan would fail during a hard-load period, then the drives could go really toasty with a 30 minute sampling interval.