Disabled/Faulty Parity Drive?

I've been replacing two 2 TB drives with two 4TB drives. When I switched the first drive everything was fine. Thereafter, I switched the second drive, and the parity drive had a red X (Disabled/Faulty drive).

What I've done:

1) Shut down the server.

2) Checked all connections

3) Turned on the server----still red X

4) Shut down the server

5) Moved the parity drive to a different slot

5) Turned on the server---still red X

When I go to the WebGUI, and click on the parity drive, under the ATTRIBUTES section, it has a yellow message: 197 Current pending sector.... Raw Value: 1.

Under the SMART reports it states no errors. I've also ran a SMART short self-test and attaching the file. I've also attached the log file. I'm currently preclearing a 4 TB drive to replace this one just in case.  Thank you for any help.

Currently using UnRaid 6.5.3

tower-smart-20180818-1126 (1).zip

tower-syslog-20180818-1123.zip

Please don't post syslog or SMART. You should always go to Tools - Diagnostics and post the complete zip. The diagnostics includes syslog, SMART for all disks, and many other useful things. Also, that syslog isn't very useful since it doesn't show us anything that happened before you rebooted.

There is something not quite clear from your description, and if you had posted the complete diagnostics I might have been able to figure it out. 

26 minutes ago, GFOviedo said:

When I switched the first drive everything was fine. Thereafter, I switched the second drive, and the parity drive had a red X (Disabled/Faulty drive).

When you "switched" the first drive, was it successfully rebuilt? When exactly did the parity drive get disabled? Was it disabled during the rebuild of the 1st disk, or was it disabled during the rebuild of the 2nd disk, or what happened exactly? Were there reboots during any of these disk replacements?

What does your complete array look like now? Is there just a disabled parity disk but everything else is OK? Or is it also waiting to rebuild the 2nd disk?

Give us all of those details I have asked about and post the complete diagnostics.

I swapped the first disk, and let it completely rebuilt. Everything was fine. Thereafter, I swapped the second disk, let it rebuilt. There was an error messages stated the parity drive had 1 error during the rebuild.  I let it completely rebuild, and that is when I noticed the parity drive had a red X next to it, but all of the other drives are good.

I did shut down the server completely to do the disk replacement. So, shut down, remove and install new disk, start array, let it finish rebuilding. During the first disk replacement and rebuilt everything was good. Second disk replacement, shut down, remove and install new disk, start array, let it finish rebuild. It showed 1 error and the parity drive had a red X.

The array is good. All of the drives are green and no errors. It is just the parity drive that has the red X.

tower-diagnostics-20180818-1325.zip

Edited by GFOviedo

There are only 2 ways to fix the red X (disabled) and enable the disk again. The preferred way is to rebuild the disk. If you have another disk you can use that to rebuild. Or you can try to rebuild to the same disk. And rebuilding to that same disk might be a good way to get the pending sector reallocated.

Stop array

Unassign disk

Start array with disk unassigned

Stop array

Reassign disk

Start array to rebuild

The other way is to set a New Config and rebuild parity, but in this case since it is the parity disk that is disabled they are really equivalent. Might be simpler to just do it that way.

Stop array

Tools - New Config - Retain All

Don't check the parity valid box

Start array to rebuild parity

If you still have the original disks you might keep them as is for a while in case anything went wrong during any of this. Do you have backups of any important and irreplaceable files?

2 hours ago, GFOviedo said:

Thereafter, I swapped the second disk, let it rebuilt. There was an error messages stated the parity drive had 1 error during the rebuild.  I let it completely rebuild, and that is when I noticed the parity drive had a red X next to it, but all of the other drives are good.

The syslog is after rebooting, but this would suggest the last rebuild will be corrupt.

2 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

The syslog is after rebooting, but this would suggest the last rebuild will be corrupt.

If that were the case then I guess the 3rd option would be New Config with valid parity then try the data rebuild again. Don't know whether he has already started the parity rebuild or not. But as long as he still has the original disks we should be able to get all files if it turned out there was something wrong.

I haven't started any rebuilds yet. I am waiting for the preclear to be complete for the new 4TB drive. All of the data appears to be fine in all the drives. I just would like for the parity drive to be good again. I'll follow trurl direction to rebuild the parity drive after the preclear is complete.

Thank you guys for the help.