LSI SAS9201-8I via Ebay: Will I be OK? WD 8TB EMAZ Whites, 3.3v Pin issue

;----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------;

I created the above post to explain what solutions worked for me :)

;----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SAS9201-8I-LSI-Mega-RAID-8-Port-SATA-SAS-6G-PCI-Express-2-0-Controller-Card/152942435787

According to a friends advice, he said I should just go with one of these. I was quick to pull the trigger, and just noticed that it NOT a SAS9211, the latest model.

I've been searching through Google for some definitive answers on this card and lot of posts seem to be having issues with it.

All I know is I want to "flash it to IT mode" if it isn't already there. Any help or general advice is greatly appreciated.

I still need to buy the correct cable, and the name escapes me.

More importantly, the reason I bought this was due to the lack of anymore SATA ports on my motherboard. I just received 2x EMAZ 8tb WD Whites via Easystore shuck.

Will I still need to the modify the 3.3v PIN?

What firmware should I use? A Huge thread on the topic specifies the -16i... not my -8i.

Thanks!!!

Edited by bmilcs
3 hours ago, bmilcs said:

All I know is I want to "flash it to IT mode" if it isn't already there.

9201 is IT mode only, no need to flash.

I still need to buy the correct cable, and the name escapes me.

SATA Forward breakout cable

Don't know about the disk, if needed you can always use SATA to Molex adapters, no 3.3v line.

Thanks for getting back to me. I am leaning toward getting the Kapton tape or removing the 3.3v pin by plucking it out. Not sure which.

Those 3.3v molex adapters and their ability to catch fire has me thoroughly paranoid enough to stay away. I'm too lazy and stubborn to find one that I am confident to be problem free.

I found the Broadcom drivers for that controller. So, I'm ready to update it immediately and get it installed in my NAS.

Question -- once I have the card installed and working properly, is it in my best interest to connect all of my existing drives through the HBA instead of the standard mobo SATA ports? Does it offer any benefit?

Excuse my ignorance, I just found out about these when I realized I was out of free sata ports.

7 hours ago, bmilcs said:

Those 3.3v molex adapters and their ability to catch fire has me thoroughly paranoid enough to stay away. I'm too lazy and stubborn to find one that I am confident to be problem free.

It's only some types of adapters that has the problem - and I'm quite sure that the badly designed ones have disappeared from the marked since quite a long time now. Millions of people have used this type of adapters with zero problems.

I ended up trying scotch tape for haha's.

The drive will either power up or it won't. As long as no voltage reaches the contact it will spin up. The biggest issue is that kapton is meant as a high temp insulator, scotch tape isn't.  I don't know how hot you can get scotch tape before the adhesive loses its grip, but the manufacturer lists 100F as the highest recommended application temp.

Just keep an eye out to make sure all the tape and residue leaves cleanly when you disconnect and redo the connection properly.;D

On 8/18/2018 at 7:14 PM, bmilcs said:

Here is a video that will show you which Molex-to-SATA cables to get:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TataDaUNEFc

And I would not be trusting that 'they' have fixed the problem with the molded in design.  These are made in China and purchased by wholesalers who are only shopping for price to market to distributors.   These manufacturers and Wholesalers could care less if you have a problem.  They will be long gone.  I would bet that none of these guys have would let a UL or CSA inspector within a mile of their manufacturing facilities.