unable to find server on network [SOLVED]

It might be worth opening up a command prompt on the Windows system and try to ‘ping’ the IP address of the unRAID server.    If that does not work then you know there is some sort of issue blocking network communication between the two machines.   Quite what it might be I have no idea as I have a Virgin Media Hub 3 acting in router mode and there is no such issue.   Have you tried something simple like moving the cables to different ports on the Hub 3?   It should not make any difference, but who knows.   Another idea is that It might also be worth checking there is no setting in Windows Defender that is blocking the PC from accessing other machines on the same LAN.

8 minutes ago, itimpi said:

It might be worth opening up a command prompt on the Windows system and try to ‘ping’ the IP address of the unRAID server.    If that does not work then you know there is some sort of issue blocking network communication between the two machines.   Quite what it might be I have no idea as I have a Virgin Media Hub 3 acting in router mode and there is no such issue.   Have you tried something simple like moving the cables to different ports on the Hub 3?   It should not make any difference, but who knows.   Another idea is that It might also be worth checking there is no setting in Windows Defender that is blocking the PC from accessing other machines on the same LAN.

Pinging 192.168.0.30 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.30: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.30:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

win defender is disabled BUT im using kaspersky.. i have disabled this and still not visible 

i would like to thank everyone so far in trying to solve this as its really confusing me.. it is very much appreciated 

Well that proves there is a working connection at the network level and the router is working fine, so there must be something blocking things at the software level.      Since it is only this PC exhibiting problems it has to be something on the PC rather than at the unRAID end.  No idea what it could be though?

I had a look at your diagnostics file.  

First thing is that the name of your server is    DeathStar  not "Tower".  "Tower" is the default name but is user setable.   (You might well be aware of this but , in the slight chance, that you may not be, I wanted to point that out.)  

There appears that the IP address is 192.168.0.30 as your ping test has shown.    

One thing that I might suggest is that your revisit this screen:

Capture.JPG.21166df7dc67373985e08f4cc27ce2f0.JPG

and check the box        SMB 1.0/CFIS Client        and see if that effects anything.

One quick thing.  Is this Win10 a virtual computer running on your server or do you have a free-standing computer that you are using? 

17 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

I had a look at your diagnostics file.  

First thing is that the name of your server is    DeathStar  not "Tower".  "Tower" is the default name but is user setable.   (You might well be aware of this but , in the slight chance, that you may not be, I wanted to point that out.)  

There appears that the IP address is 192.168.0.30 as your ping test has shown.    

One thing that I might suggest is that your revisit this screen:

Capture.JPG.21166df7dc67373985e08f4cc27ce2f0.JPG

and check the box        SMB 1.0/CFIS Client        and see if that effects anything.

One quick thing.  Is this Win10 a virtual computer running on your server or do you have a free-standing computer that you are using? 

@Frank1940 thank you thank you thank you ....... it works... if i could buy you a beer ... it would be a pub. turned on client and it all appeared ... i am not worthy... and yes its going to be a vm 

• 11 months later...

Just a quick note that there is anther solution to this problem without enabling SMB1. Microsoft has replaced SMB with "Function Discovery" (in a manner of speaking) and there is a daemon / script that enables that for Linux.

I have "Instructions" in the thread here:

forums.unraid.net/topic/82765-solved-windows-network-working-with-no-smb1/ 

Kevin