Extreme lag after added a disk to the machine

12 minutes ago, TheBlueKingLP said:

How do I remove a disk that has data on it?

You have to copy the files to somewhere else first, then

23 minutes ago, trurl said:

you would have to New Config and rebuild parity without the disk

However, what puzzles me is that in your OP you said

On 8/19/2018 at 1:43 PM, TheBlueKingLP said:

Things tried:

Unplug disk

Reboot machine

And when I asked if doing either cured the problem you answered "no". So have you tried unplugging the disk or not? This thread seems to be going round in circles and getting nowhere. A number of people have made suggestions to try to help you but you seem reluctant to act on any of them.

Edited by John_M
4 minutes ago, John_M said:

You have to copy the files to somewhere else first, then

However, what puzzles me is that in your OP you said

And when I asked if doing either cured the problem you answered "no". So have you tried unplugging the disk or not? This thread seems to be going round in circles and getting nowhere. A number of people have made suggestions to try to help you but you seem reluctant to act on any of them.

I have unpluged the disk but I have unraid emulating the content of the drive.

Another question: I have another linux server which has the disk image on an unassigned device,but the linux server is lagging,why is it lagging if it is not on the array?

Just now, TheBlueKingLP said:

Actually, the problem is fixed by removing a external USB unassigned device, why does that even affect the array?

Linux expects to have a very good connection to all disks and to receive prompt responses when interfacing with the disks.

If the USB connection has lots of transfer errors and the Linux kernel stays in a critical section waiting for a response or a timeout, then you can get slowdowns. A number of disk operations in the kernel have barrier requirements, where no new actions are allowed until previous actions have been acknowledged. This is required to maintain consistent file systems and be able to recover to a stable state in case of a power loss.

You might have a bad USB cable. Or a bad power supply for the external disk. Or maybe the disk isn't in a good state.

4 minutes ago, pwm said:

Linux expects to have a very good connection to all disks and to receive prompt responses when interfacing with the disks.

If the USB connection has lots of transfer errors and the Linux kernel stays in a critical section waiting for a response or a timeout, then you can get slowdowns. A number of disk operations in the kernel have barrier requirements, where no new actions are allowed until previous actions have been acknowledged. This is required to maintain consistent file systems and be able to recover to a stable state in case of a power loss.

You might have a bad USB cable. Or a bad power supply for the external disk. Or maybe the disk isn't in a good state.

I have no problem using that specific unassigned device before i add the wd hard drive

2 hours ago, TheBlueKingLP said:

2.5, works fine, i think to many drive is the problem (does not exceed the license limit)

If 2.5" drive, then I assume it's powered over USB. Maybe interference from USB is affecting the system. I have seen several systems where USB communication - especially with 2.5" drives - can be clearly heard in the loudspeakers.

Or maybe the new WD disk is the first disk to use a different controller on the motherboard, and the USB host is sharing an interrupt with this SATA controller.

5 hours ago, pwm said:

If 2.5" drive, then I assume it's powered over USB. Maybe interference from USB is affecting the system. I have seen several systems where USB communication - especially with 2.5" drives - can be clearly heard in the loudspeakers.

Or maybe the new WD disk is the first disk to use a different controller on the motherboard, and the USB host is sharing an interrupt with this SATA controller.

Not really sure, at least i have got a temporary solution, unplug the usb drive.

But no long term solutions yet, don't know how to add more drive without lag. I moved three sata cable by 1 slot because the cable is in the way when i install the wd harddrive.