Unraid 6.4.0 & Apple Time Machine

I recently ran into problems with Time Machine and I can't seem to get it to work again. it was working just fine for quite some time but I know it's temperamental with unraid. Hopefully, you all can help me figure out how to fix it.

In order to troubleshoot the various error messages - i deleted my time machine backups via the Time Machine application in Mac. I then set up a new, encrypted backup.  So I've chosen the disk, entered an encryption password and let it run. 

I get this error message:

Backup Disk Not Available
Try backing up again when "Buddha-AFP.local" is available.

It seems odd b/c when I check my shares in finder locations - they all show up (see attachments). I have also looked at the AFP settings in Unraid and after having restarted it - it does now show 1 connected user. I am running OSX 10.14 beta and Unraid 6.4.0

So I can't figure out what gives. You can see my share settings in the attached files (i've blanked out the username in the shares). Let me know if there is anything else I can provide.

Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 8.04.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 8.04.31 PM.png

1823557153_ScreenShot2018-08-19at8_02_43PM.thumb.png.392e0f9e2de7f3e6148418fdeb79c819.png

1380332991_ScreenShot2018-08-19at8_02_54PM.thumb.png.0040cbbd85c6d3a2df9f4688147437d4.png

Edited by helpermonkey

Try it without encryption. It never used to work with network destinations but maybe they've fixed it. Update to the latest unRAID (currently version 6.5.3) and consider using SMB instead. In AFP Security settings consider moving the Volume dbpath off the array. A folder on your cache disk would be an ideal place. I set mine to /mnt/cache/system/AppleDB and I find AFP shares are much more robust. Remember Time Machine backups to a network share involve a double mount. First the share itself is mounted then the sparse bundle that contains the actual HFS+ image is mounted. Sparse bundles consist of a folder containing many many small files and a database and they can be quite fragile so make sure you're using a cabled network connection, at least for the big initial backup. I'm wondering why you bothered redacting the user name for the share. It should be a unique name that's only used for that purpose so what's embarrassing about "tm" or "timemachine"? I have no experience of macOS Mojave - maybe AFP is broken in that beta.