Jump to content
brainbone

Low power GPU for system without integrated graphics

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

So, after deciding to go with a Ryzen 2700X system (a choice I'm somewhat regretting, kicking myself for not going with server-grade hardware, but here we are), I'm trying to find the lowest power discrete GPU.  All it'll be used for is local console output.

 

I've been looking at the ZOTAC GeForce GT 710 PCIe x1, so I don't need to sacrifice a PCIe x16 slot.   Anyone have experience with this card in unraid?  How many watts does it pull when unraid seems to lack the ability to use DPMS?  Any way to put GPUs into a low power mode in unraid?

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, brainbone said:

So, after deciding to go with a Ryzen 2700X system (a choice I'm somewhat regretting, kicking myself for not going with server-grade hardware, but here we are), I'm trying to find the lowest power discrete GPU.  All it'll be used for is local console output.

 

I've been looking at the ZOTAC GeForce GT 710 PCIe x1, so I don't need to sacrifice a PCIe x16 slot.   Anyone have experience with this card in unraid?  How many watts does it pull when unraid seems to lack the ability to use DPMS?  Any way to put GPUs into a low power mode in unraid?

 

 

from the page you linked:

 

25-watt max power consumption.

 

so, no more than that.

 

 

I have several 710's of the x4/x8/whatever flavor that work fine as a boot card or more. But if you're passing through a card to a vm, then there are ways for unraid to use that to boot, then release it to the vm, meaning you don't need to have a dedicated card for console output.

Share this post


Link to post

You may also ref. below page ( not english and no update GPU inside )

https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/VideoCard/M.1271324049.A.FA1.html

 

The page said, power draw were GPU only, not whole system.

 

Actually, I buy a HD5450 from China online ( less then 5USD and said 90% new ) for my Ryzen platform and plan for replace org. GTX1050.

When first system build/test, GTX1050 idle power was good ( mod from 2 slot to 1 slot and remove FAN ), but recently found idle power raise a lot and no solution.

Edited by Benson

Share this post


Link to post
55 minutes ago, 1812 said:

 


25-watt max power consumption.

 

so, no more than that.

 

But, unfortunately, doesn't tell me what it would draw at idle.

 

I probably wouldn't be passing anything through to a VM, though I was looking over the threads on how to do it - mainly in hopes that the guest OS may be able to better put the GPU in a lower power mode than unraid seems able.

 

32 minutes ago, Benson said:

When first system build/test, GTX1050 idle power was good ( mod from 2 slot to 1 slot and remove FAN ), but recently found idle power raise a lot and no solution.

 

That''s exactly my concern.  For whatever card I choose, will unraid be able to keep it in a low power state.

 

Share this post


Link to post

I usually go with one of the pcie 1x Matrox G550 cards, there's open source drivers as well and have been around for ever.  I don't feel like re-inventing the wheel when it comes to console access.  They're often integrated onto motherboard for servers and I typically pick them up for $20-30.  Also come in low-profile form factor.  There may be ones with fans but everyone I've got to date has been fanless.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now