One Disk not reachable and one in error state - help

1 minute ago, Marino said:

I wish I'd Checksums of the files. The most of them are over 20 gigs. Then I could have checked if they are ok.

Yes, they are invaluable in situations like this.

2 minutes ago, Marino said:

I think, copy the data of the offline drive would be the better way to do, because I know which data was written while it was going offline.

Agree, likely the best option.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you for your patience with me.

I unassigned the two drives and installed preclear. Now I am preclearing the 4TB and after that I assign it as parity and compute parity. When my other server is done and I'll get two more 4TB drives for this one, it would be better to computer dual parity the same time as a have to do this anyway, right?

As my parity drive failed while swapping the parity, I have no parity on this server which leads me to a question.

For now, I am copying data of of the 4TB disks so that they are empty and can be used in this server here. One 4TB disk is installed, but I wanted to wait for the second parity and the additional data disk. Only when all 3 4TB disks (1 data, 2 parity) are installed it make sense to compute parity.

The disk7 from the beginning is filled with data. And because it went offline because of a bad cable it should be okay. That's why I consider to add this before computing parity. 

Normally I would have 2 clean 4TB drives for dual parity and one 4TB for data. Then I'd compute parity and after that I'd copy the data off of disk7 (which was offline). At the end I'd assign that drive to the array, because it is ok. What I want to ask: Should I do it this way or would it be okay to add the disk7 before computing parity to the array? This would consume less time because I don't have to copy data off of it and have to compute parity anyway, because my original parity drive is has UNC's :(

Tasks in short:

Other Server:

- 2x4TB (I copy the data to get this disks available)

This server:

- Already got one 4TB for Parity-Swap, but the old parity drive failed while swapping with UNC's 

- Got disk7 disconnected, because it was offline

- Waits for the 2 4TB drives for data and dual parity

- Must compute parity when these are installed

- Copy the date off of the disk7 and assign this to the array (or maybe before computing parity without copying data off of it?)

Is there something significant that I should copy the data at the and and then add it to the array instead of just installing it before computing parity, so that I only have to do this once and am done?

3 hours ago, Marino said:

No one? 

Maybe because it's difficult to follow what you want to do, at least it is for me.

If I understood correctly or main question is what to do about the disable disk7, if you think the disk is fine and SMART looks OK you should do the new sync including this disk, if there are any errors you can always cancel.

I wanted to thank you Guys for your awesome help.

At least one if my two servers is running again normally. This one in this thread.

I took the 3 4TB disks out of the other server and while parity swap the parity disk had uncorrectable sectors. So I throw that away. Then i bought 3 PCIe x1 SATA boards. Exactly the one John_M recommended. Sadly only 2 of them fit, because the PCIe graphic card, which I need, covers the third slot with its passive heat sink.

So I have one 3TB less but 3 4TB disks additional. 2 of the 4TB are for dual parity and I already computed parity with all drives together. (7 3TB and 4TB disks with dual parity). Took 17 hours but now it has valid parity and the server runs again. Thanks to you guys.

So thank you again for your awesome support!