New Threadripper Build?

I currently have a Asrock c226 ws with a Xeon 1245v3 witch works great and do not need any more power.  But my issue is that I need more PCIe slots as I have filled all my 16x slots and only have 1x slots left witch are useless to me.  I have been looking around at intel and amd motherboards and can only seem to find intel boards x-series boards with 78xx or 79xx cpus and Threadripper that support the number of PCIe lanes that I need.  It looks like an intel server will end up costing significantly more than a Threadripper server.

This is the motherboard that I am looking at because it has 10Gb/s ethernet so I can skip the 10Gb/s card I am using now.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0AJ7955919

with a 1900x CPU as I don't need the processing power.

I only run 1 windows 10 VM with my plex server and I do not need to be able to transcode.

If anybody knows of another solution that allows me to have at least 3 PCIe x8 speed slots with 1 or 2 m.2 nvme drives please let me know.

On 8/21/2018 at 9:03 AM, sgibbers17 said:

I currently have a Asrock c226 ws with a Xeon 1245v3 witch works great and do not need any more power.  But my issue is that I need more PCIe slots as I have filled all my 16x slots and only have 1x slots left witch are useless to me.  I have been looking around at intel and amd motherboards and can only seem to find intel boards x-series boards with 78xx or 79xx cpus and Threadripper that support the number of PCIe lanes that I need.  It looks like an intel server will end up costing significantly more than a Threadripper server.

This is the motherboard that I am looking at because it has 10Gb/s ethernet so I can skip the 10Gb/s card I am using now.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0AJ7955919

with a 1900x CPU as I don't need the processing power.

I only run 1 windows 10 VM with my plex server and I do not need to be able to transcode.

If anybody knows of another solution that allows me to have at least 3 PCIe x8 speed slots with 1 or 2 m.2 nvme drives please let me know. 

I'm running a Threadripper 1950X with the ASRock X399 Taichi sTR4 AMD X399: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157785

The two PCI configurations that might interest you most are: "triple at x16 (PCIE1) / x8 (PCIE2) / x16 (PCIE4)" and "quad at x16 (PCIE1) / x8 (PCIE2) / x16 (PCIE4) / x8 (PCIE5))".

There are also three M.2 NVMe sockets on the motherboard.  You can add more with interface cards, but this should probably be plenty for most people.

I've been running this build since February/March timeframe?  Have not had any issues worth mentioning, everything runs smoothly.  I did some Monero mining on an Ubuntu VM before the weather got hot, so to an extent the system has been stressed more than the typical unRAID/Plex/VM usage.

No 10Gb/s ethernet on this board, so maybe a deal killer.  Are you really making use of 10Gb network speeds?  May I ask what your application is for this kind of connection?

thanks, as far as I can tell a threadripper system is the cheapest way for me to my SAS controller, SAS expander, 10Gbe card, and still have room for expansion. 

I do make use of the 10Gbe cards as I rip my blu-rays to my server with an SSD cache can I get by with 1Gbe yes but I like the extra speed.

I first rip my blu-rays to my desktop and make any changes to the files there and then copy them over to the server.  I do this in batches so I am coping over 100GB at a time.