AcidReign

Pro and Con of XFP Encrypted?

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello everybody,

I am building a new server and the disks are preclearing at the moment.

So I was wondering how to format them after that.

Should I use xfs or xfs encrypted? 

I could not find any pro/con lists about that.

Obviously the xfs ecrypted is... well encrypted. But does it have any cons? Is the array slower when it is encrypted? Can the hardrives still be read on any other linux-machine in case of a failure (of course when the other linux machine has some kind of key?!)

Thanks for your help

Acid  

Cons, I imagine encryption will add some overhead, but I think you'd have to ask someone who has their disks encrypted if they notice a performance hit.

Forgetting your encryption password, yeah that would be pretty bad.

At the end of the day, unless you are storing ultra classified, or secret stuff you don't want anyone to see, I'd have to ask WHY would you do it?

For laptops I can understand, they are easy to steal and can be lost, so you don't want anyone poking around your stuff, but a home based server or PC? To me it just seems unnecessary but hey, to each their own.

If you have to ask whether you need encryption then you probably don't. I know I don't need it so I don't use it. It's another layer that could go wrong and I believe in keeping things simple.

12 hours ago, ashman70 said:

At the end of the day, unless you are storing ultra classified, or secret stuff you don't want anyone to see, I'd have to ask WHY would you do it?

The main advantage with encrypting the disk, is that if you have a warranty issue you can send in the drive as is without caring about the content.

An unencrypted disk that fails may be so broken that it can't even be erased.

But as noted by @John_M - most people don't need encryption.

How much it slows down the system? That depends completely on amount of processing power. Note that unRAID parity work is done on raw disk sectors, so it isn't affected by the encryption - unRAID does the work below the file system layer.

Thanks for your replies. 

Can anyone tell me if an encrypted harddrive can still be decrypted on another non unRaid Machine? With the right key of course?

11 minutes ago, AcidReign said:

Can anyone tell me if an encrypted harddrive can still be decrypted on another non unRaid Machine? With the right key of course?

Yes.

Piggybacking off the last post, how would an encrypted unRAID drive be read on another computer? Does it need to be a certain OS or do you need certain software?