Shutting down VM causes unRaid to CRASH

• 3 months later...
16 hours ago, discojon said:

Any updates on this?  I have the same board and experience the same issue.  Was it ever resolved?

I don't know if it's the same problem as yours, but i had complete freeze of unraid, with my GTX1660.

I manage to get it working, by NOT passing through the USB controller on the GFX. It has been working like this since 6.7.

• 2 months later...

I was having this issue for probably about a year or more. I had tried, quite literally everything over that time but it still crashed every time I shut down the VM, but only after it had been on for a decent amount of time (over 1 hour).  Long story short, it happened when I passed through both GPUs I had available to me... A GTX 1050 and a GT1030. What ended up fixing it was to change the GPU to an AMD Radeon HD 7570. 

Also, both the GTX 1050 and the GT 1030 worked fine in another unraid server I had with different hardware.

Overall, I don't know exactly what caused the issue but if you are passing through an Nvidia 10 series GPU, try swapping it out for maybe an older AMD GPU and see if it makes a difference.

• 4 months later...
32 minutes ago, discojon said:

I'm still having this issue.  I have an NVidia gtx 1060 but it's the only gfx card I have available to test.  Here is my latest diagnostics if anyone cares to look.

tower-diagnostics-20201218-1351.zip 275.34 kB · 1 download

My issues were also on a dual-cpu socket 1366 motherboard (Asus Z8NA-D6) so it could be some kind of bug with the Chipset. As I mentioned, the only thing that managed to fix it for me was switching to an AMD Graphics card. I have since switched from the Radeon 7570 to an R7- 265 which also works with no issues.

I would say go out and buy a cheap old AMD Graphics card to test, or if you are feeling lucky, go and grab an RX-580 which is pretty much the equivalent to the GTX 1060 and see if that resolves it for you.

Good luck!

• 6 months later...

Ever find any resolution to your problem? I'm having the same issue, suddenly, and without any changes in hardware configuration. Different mobo (GIGABYTE GA-7PESH-2) but with a win 10 vm and GTX 1070 GPU passthru. I only get this issue when shutting down my Win 10 VM.

I'm not sure if this is the same issue since all the hardware is different but recently I was having crashes after reboots with a old AMD card, but only with the drivers installed in the VM. I didn't think it was the reset bug (although maybe in a way it is) since I'd used the card successfully for passthrough tests in the past. What actually solved the problem was ALSO passing through the hdmi audio which I had just left behind before since I didn't need it. I still don't use it but it was stable after this point.

On 7/19/2021 at 12:43 PM, dexxy said:

Ever find any resolution to your problem? I'm having the same issue, suddenly, and without any changes in hardware configuration. Different mobo (GIGABYTE GA-7PESH-2) but with a win 10 vm and GTX 1070 GPU passthru. I only get this issue when shutting down my Win 10 VM.

My only resolution I found was to use an AMD card. When I used a 1050TI and a 1030 I had the issue. Every AMD card I tried did not have the issue. I don't need a very powerful GPU so I am using an R9 270 at the moment and have no issues.

On 7/23/2021 at 11:16 AM, scorcho99 said:

I'm not sure if this is the same issue since all the hardware is different but recently I was having crashes after reboots with a old AMD card, but only with the drivers installed in the VM. I didn't think it was the reset bug (although maybe in a way it is) since I'd used the card successfully for passthrough tests in the past. What actually solved the problem was ALSO passing through the hdmi audio which I had just left behind before since I didn't need it. I still don't use it but it was stable after this point.

Doesn't sound like the same issue. I had always passed through the sound portion of the card as well. It is always recommended to pass through sound as well, so the was probably the cause of your issues.

• 1 year later...