'Shucked' 8TB Easystore Drive Not Mounting By Sata, but Is Working By USB

So I got 4 x 8TB easy store external hard drives to replace some of my 3 and 5 TB drives in unraid. I put one in without a hitch, but I added a second one and unraid never mounts the drive when it's connected by SATA. But if I plug it in as an external USB drive, it works fine and I can put it into the array. 

The sata port works fine on a couple other 3 TB drives I tried (have not tried another 8TB drive yet).

Any ideas what could be going on?

You should post up a diagnostics file   (Tools   >>>  Diagnostics  ) which shows the OS trying to install and mount this drive.  Hopefully, one of the Gurus can see what is going on from the files contained within it.  Be sure to include the last four digits of the drive's serial number to simplify the problem of diagnosis.    

• Upvote 1
On 8/23/2018 at 12:37 PM, cypres0099 said:
So I got 4 x 8TB easy store external hard drives to replace some of my 3 and 5 TB drives in unraid. I put one in without a hitch, but I added a second one and unraid never mounts the drive when it's connected by SATA. But if I plug it in as an external USB drive, it works fine and I can put it into the array. 

The sata port works fine on a couple other 3 TB drives I tried (have not tried another 8TB drive yet).

Any ideas what could be going on?

You might have a drive with the 3.3v reset issue. These drives will work fine if connected via USB or with a molex—>SATA adapter but connected directly to SATA they don’t power up due to reset loop. The solution is to put kapton tape over SATA power pin 3 on the drive.  You can overlap 1 and 2, if you can't cut a piece small enough for just #3.

Search for SATA 3.3v reset and you will get lots of info. It varies by drive. Some work, some don’t without the tape.

UPDATE:  I added a shucked 8TB Easystore to my array last week (all my 8TB drives are shucked from Easystore enclosures).  It was a white label EMAZ drive and I assumed it would have the issue and was prepared to do the tape thing.  Fortunately, the backplane on my hot-swap cage negated the 3.3v reset since it is powered by molex connectors, a fact I had forgotten. 

Many SATA drives manufactured from late 2017 on will have the 3.3v reset issue, especially WD white label 8TB EMAZ drives shucked from BB Easystore enclosures.  3.3v reset is a new standard, but, a lot of older power supplies don't support it, thus, the tape or other solutions like molex--> SATA adapters, snipping a wire on the SATA connector, etc.  I prefer the tape as it is reversible and easy to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Hoopster
  • Upvote 2