m.2 drive for domains user share only?

Excuse me if I'm an idiot but how do I go about setting an m.2 drive as my domains folder? In my setup I would like to keep my SSD drive as the cache drive while keeping my virtual machines in my separate m.2 drive. I see posts about people using unassigned devices for their m.2 drives but how would do I tell unRAID to use that for the /mnt/user/domains folder only? Do I assign the m.2 drive into the array and adjust the user share folder to only use Disk X (X being the m.2 disk) while adjusting the other shares to exclude disk X? Or is there a way to just tell unRAID to use this unassigned disk as a specific user share?

3 minutes ago, remati said:

Excuse me if I'm an idiot but how do I go about setting an m.2 drive as my domains folder? In my setup I would like to keep my SSD drive as the cache drive while keeping my virtual machines in my separate m.2 drive. I see posts about people using unassigned devices for their m.2 drives but how would do I tell unRAID to use that for the /mnt/user/domains folder only? Do I assign the m.2 drive into the array and adjust the user share folder to only use Disk X (X being the m.2 disk) while adjusting the other shares to exclude disk X? Or is there a way to just tell unRAID to use this unassigned disk as a specific user share?

You cannot make an Unassigned Device act as a User Share.

However it sounds as if in this case you simply want your VMs to be on the Unassigned Device?    If so simply tell unRAID that is where the VM vdisk is located - it is not a requirement that vdisks are located under the domains share.

2 hours ago, itimpi said:

You cannot make an Unassigned Device act as a User Share.

However it sounds as if in this case you simply want your VMs to be on the Unassigned Device?    If so simply tell unRAID that is where the VM vdisk is located - it is not a requirement that vdisks are located under the domains share.

Thinking about it now I suppose having an SSD/m.2 drive in the array would de-sync the parity since trim would cause issues. I wish in the VM settings page we could change the "Default VM storage path" to be an unassigned drive. I haven't tried it yet but I'm assuming when editing the VM templates the "Auto" setting would revert back to the "/mnt/user/domains/ " folder path?