Upgrading from 6.1.6 to 6.5.3

I have been running 6.1.6 for a long long time (current uptime is over 101 days) so I get nervous when I have to do things. I am almost 79 and forget things quite easily, especially if they are detailed and over a year old.

I wish to upgrade to version 6.5.3 and then install the PLEX server on my Unraid system. I saw the new upgrade utility (Upgrade.USB.Creator) but I am not sure what I need to do after I build the USB drive.  In the old days, IIRC,  I used to just copy in new versions of the key files (BZimage and BZroot) to a copy of my existing USB drive and that was it.  I am not sure what I have to do now to keep my same configuration of shares and plugins (preclear and Dynamix WebGUI). If I want to use a new USB drive that I make with the creator, what files do I need to copy and which must leave alone.  I assume I just need to copy the 'config' folder from my old system.

After I get the system running 6.5.3 I will look at installing Plex.  I saw some info that suggested I install Community Applications first to make the Plex install a lot easier.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated

• Like 1

Is there something wrong with your current flash drive? Upgrading from your old version may require some intermediate steps and so it might be simpler if you could continue to do the upgrade from where you are now instead of starting from a new install. There are some things you need may to take care of before you can use your configuration on the new version.

Take a look at these Update Notes:

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/66327-unraid-os-version-650-stable-release-update-notes/

Thanks for the reply

Yes you are correct I would much rather upgrade from where I am now.  I am just not sure what I need to do.

1) I will make a copy of my current USB drive.  Will the copy be bootable?

2) I will add the five files that begin with bz ( bzfirmware, bzimage, bzmodules, bzroot, bzroot-gui) to the drive copy replacing the ones that were there.

Is there anything else I need to do?  (I will read the suggested document before I start)

4 hours ago, barrygordon said:

1) I will make a copy of my current USB drive.  Will the copy be bootable?

Depends. The partition and formatting has to be correct, the volume label must be correct, and the make bootable script must be successfully run.

It will NOT however, allow you to start the array without transferring the license, which you really don't want to do unless necessary.

So yes, to be really really safe, you can prepare a second flash drive and copy everything from the current drive and have a working last resort backup.

Unless your currently licensed drive completely dies, you can always copy the old files back to your current USB and not have to transfer the license.

Trying to do the upgrade using a new clean flash, I had the following problems:

I built a new flash drive containing 6.5.3, made it bootable and attempted to boot it.  It booted but then stated that The registration key was missing  or expired

I went to the page indicated on the web gui and the top stated:

The registered GUID does not match the USB Flash boot device GUID.

I clicked replace key as instructed. I received the following message:

Sorry, an error (403) occurred registering USB Flash GUID 05DC-C75C-C8BD-B27D77B0F8C7

The error is: GUID '05DC-A731-AA04-013000000283' inside KeyFile was not found as a registered GUID

Okay, I have no idea what is going on.  I believe I have been a registered user of unraid since 2010 with a properly paid for license.

Well, I decided to do the upgrade the way I always have:

Using my working flash drive I removed the files bzimage and bzroot

I then copied in the files from my failed 6.5.3 flash drive (bzimage, bzroot, bzfirmware, bzmodules, and bzroot-gui) 

I then successfully booted version 6.5.3 from my old flash drive.

It appears that all my shares and users are as before (as I expected they would be)

and the only plugin I now had was preclear, which was the only plugin I ever used.

I checked a few files (using Samba) and all was as it was before.  I am happy (I think) or at least content.

Is there anything I need to watch out for?  Any suggestions?

15 minutes ago, barrygordon said:

Trying to do the upgrade using a new clean flash

On 8/25/2018 at 8:17 PM, jonathanm said:

It will NOT however, allow you to start the array without transferring the license, which you really don't want to do unless necessary.

If that's how you wish to proceed you need to copy the licence from the old USB to the new one. It's the *.key file in the config folder. But be aware that your old USB device will be forever blacklisted.

When I first started with the new flash drive I did copy the .key file to the new drive.  When I tried to boot it told me that the GUID on the new drive did not match the registration as stated in my post about 2 or 3 back.  I finally did it the way I used to and I am running fine once again with the old flash drive but the new unRaid OS.

If the .key file was mapped to the old flash drive, how could copying it over work?  I don't understand

9 minutes ago, barrygordon said:

When I tried to boot it told me that the GUID on the new drive did not match the registration

If you had followed through on that registration page, it would have walked you through voiding the old key file and issuing you a new key file matching the new USB. That process can be done through the automated process once a year. If you need to transfer before the year is up, you have to talk to limetech via email and work it out.

I did follow through but got the following message:

Sorry, an error (403) occurred registering USB Flash GUID 05DC-C75C-C8BD-B27D77B0F8C7

The error is: GUID '05DC-A731-AA04-013000000283' inside KeyFile was not found as a registered GUID

That's when I gave up and did it the old way copying over the bz.....  files to my old drive

If I was you I would contact Limetech support to find out why you got the error when you attempted to transfer the license key to another usb drive:

• because it could be a problem in the future if something happens to your current usb drive and you need to transfer the license key to another usb drive.
  • to confirm that your existing usb drive has not been added to the blacklist by the attempted transfer;  if it was the usb drive will be blacklisted if you ever install any future unRaid update,

better getting this clarified while you have a working system.

• Upvote 1
On 8/29/2018 at 12:45 AM, remotevisitor said:

better getting this clarified while you have a working system.

I would also be quite worried that the old flash drive might have been added to the blacklist, blocking any future updates.

And it's quite important that Limes checks the error codes to get the key management server aligned with any other changes introduced during the domain name move.