Docker image disk utilization getting high: how to find the culprit?

syrys

Hey All,

Ive been using unraid with docker apps for years (im still a noob though). Recently (since about few weeks ago) ive been noticing that my docker disk utilization is slowly going up (im not installing anything, and all the apps are set to write to a different drive, as mentioned, ive been using this without much issues for years).

Aaanyway, ive been getting warning emails saying "Docker image disk utilization X%"  where X is now at about 85, and growing a slowly (1-2% every day). So, between July 9th and July 21st, it went from <70% to 95%, then i deleted lot of apps that i dont use very much to get it down well below 70%. Then between August 17th to today (25th) it went from 70% to 85%.

This means clearly one of the dockers are doing something strange (something it shouldnt), and possibly writing logs to the docker image or something.

So, my question is, how on earth do i find out who the culprit is so i can look further into dealing with it and/or coming up with a solution? 

FYI, here is a list of 8 apps im actually running:

plex: linuxserver/plex
radarr: linuxserver/radarr
sabnzbd: linuxserver/sabnzbd
Sonarr: linuxserver/sonarr
deluge: linuxserver/deluge
DuckDNS: coppit/duckdns
jackett-public: dreamcat4/jackett
cadvisor: google/cadvisor

My current allocated space for docker is 20gb.

Any help appreciated :)

18 hours ago, Squid said:

The docker FAQ has a couple of entries on image utilization

Hey Mate,

Thanks for the link. I did have a look in there and made sure the basic things like that log file limit etc are set. But i dont see anything in the faq about a way to find which image uses up how much space or anything along those lines. So i still have no way of knowing what image is the culprit, and how to go about fixing it.

As i mentioned earlier, my settings/configs should be correct, as i have been using these for years without much issue. The issue is likely coming from a recent update for one of these images, that is likely saving some files in a location it shouldnt be. I just have no way to actually find this out?

FYI: im at 87% now and have no idea what to do :(

21 hours ago, John_M said:

Try breaking the problem into smaller pieces. Run for a while with some of your containers disabled. That way you can eliminate some of them. Repeat with a different set until you've eliminated all but one.

Yeah ive thought about that. Thus the reason why i asked if anyone know a way for me to check/monitor the docker container space usage. I still dont really have an answer to that :(

Sure, as you mentioned, i can turn off some of the containers and see if that would stop the usage creeping up, but the culprit is something im likely heavily use/rely on (heck, i only have 8 containers running, and its likely the top 4 on the list i posted). Ill leave the turning off thing as a last resort, and am hoping that unraid/lime-tech or atleast someone who is familiar with docker to give me some sort of proper way to debug this.

89% :(

One of the downloaders is most likely to be misconfigured since they write partial downloads to a temporary location and then move the completed file somewhere else. I don't use any of them so I can't help with the specifics. I use Plex and, while it creates a lot of database files it's generally well behaved.

On 8/26/2018 at 1:43 AM, syrys said:

radarr: linuxserver/radarr

The culprit is Radarr. 

As @John_Msuggested, i ended up turning off some containers that i didnt use too much. The % stopped going up. And i narrowed down the problem to Radarr.

Soo... How that i know the culprit container, how do i actually go about fixing it? I spent a lot of time making sure all the setting are correct to the best of my ability. I suspect the storage usage i comes from a non configurable path. Any suggestions?

3 hours ago, syrys said:

Any suggestions?

Try the support thread for your particular container. Other people might well have had the same problem so you might find a solution there quite easily. If not you can ask there and your question will at least be read by people who use that container.