NIC Separation between UnRaid/Dockers/VM's etc

(Using UnRaid 6.5.3)
Hey everyone,

I've been doing lots of reading, but I'm still not confident on what I need to do, or if it's even possible...

I have just finished setting up an UnRaid server, following SpaceInvader's YouTube guides. I'm at the point now though, where I'm splitting off from the guide and could really use some help.

In my physical server, I have 6 NIC's.

2x are on the motherboard

4x are attached via an intel PCIe add-in card.

I can see that the 2x mobo NIC's are joined into IOMMU group (Group 13), and the 4x PCIe NIC's are joined on another different IOMMU group (Group 1).

What I would ideally like to do is separate the main 'functions' of the server between the different NICs. EG:

Eth0: UnRaid file server

Eth1: Plex media server

Eth2: Windows VM

Eth3: [Surveillance - need to do more research here].

• From what I can find, it looks like some users have mentioned 'Pipework' to accomplish the above. This was 2 years ago on prior UnRaid releases, and after reading the thread - didn't inspire much confidence in exactly what I would need to do.
  • I've also seen guides about creating VLAN's... Which again doesn't help me as I don't need each service running on a different subnet... Just on their own interface.
  • Depending on bandwidth requirements (eg 4+ Plex streams) I would also like to know if its possible to aggregate 2 ports to increase bandwidth (I'm probably pushing it here).

Any help, links or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Edited by CharcoaI

Following!

Please let me know if you get this going for a specific docker image.

I've been trying to do this for a DNS server that also uses port 80 and I don't want to move the unRAID webUI port.

Used to have this working with a custom network but something changed with an upgrade...

@CharcoaI Docker networking will not allow more than one interface on the same subnet. It will complain about invalid gateways if you attempt to have more than one docker network on the same address space.

@sreknob You should spin off your own thread and people here will try to give you specific help if you still can't do it.

the setup you want sounds like Pi-Hole, and it seems to be capable of showing issues with your networking equipment, but it should still work.

Edited by ken-ji
  • 2 weeks later...

@ken-ji Thanks for the reply Ken. Could I get you to elaborate slightly?

• "Docker networking will not allow more than one interface on the same subnet."

Do you mean that within a single subnet (eg 192.168.0.1/24) you can only use a single NIC (eg Eth0) for all the dockers within that same subnet?

If so, what can be done to mitigate the potential for contention where multiple dockers and/or services are being pushed through a single ethernet port? I've seen many posts about running media servers through Docker as the 'ideal' scenario (and I tend to agree from my readings).

Thanks!

Edited by CharcoaI

To be more concise:

A single subnet (ie 192.168.0.1/24) is identified by the gateway (ie 192.168.0.1)

Docker will not allow you to have more than one NIC connected to a single subnet

so once eth0 is configure to be on 192.168.0.1/24, you can no longer configure eth1 to be on the same subnet.

If you need to have more interfaces due to concerns over bandwidth issues, you can opt to bond your interfaces together which should work most of the time (depending on actual switch support).

• Upvote 1