Terrible copy/read performance from unraid to pc (SOLVED)

Hi,

i think since i have updatet to unraid 6 copying performance from unraid server to pc or generally reading from my unraid server is VERY slow.

First i noticed when watching a video from my server, kodi is always buffering.

When copying a file (doesn't matter if large or not) to my pc it shows 2,5MB to  a max. of 4MB transfer speed with "terra copy"!

I thought it must have been the problem with SMB shares and unraid 6 so i already added "max protocol = SMB2_02" to the smb config.

Please find my diagnostics attached.

Thanks in advance,

Gery

nas-diagnostics-20180826-1939.zip

Edited by umixut85

I canceled the transfere because it took too long, than created the diagnostics. Does that mean i have to do a full copy first?

My CPU is at around 20% at max, so it's sleeping almost all the time. Nothing is stressing my CPU. But what do you mean by qualcom port? I use the onboard NIC, which is Realtek i think, eth1 must be an external pci-e card (Intel) which i don't use.

Edited by umixut85

You don't have a Realtek NIC. It's a Qualcomm Atheros:

02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Qualcomm Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 Gigabit or Fast Ethernet [1969:1026] (rev b0)
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. P5KPL-CM Motherboard [1043:8304]
	Kernel driver in use: ATL1E
	Kernel modules: atl1e

Double check that you have the latest Operating System Networking Drivers for your PC's Motherboard.  (Best place to get them is directly from either the MB manufacturer or the PC manufacturer.  Be somewhat careful using MS supplied up dates as I had one that turn a MODEM into a brick.  Luckily, I had made a tape image of the HD before the update.)  I had a simple problem a couple of years ago where updating the Networking Drivers fixed the problem.  I will admit that these Drivers were several years old at the time when I finally did the upgrade.  

How can i update my drivers when using unraid? The only thing i could do is try updating my bios. (And i already have the newest is from 2009)

I never had this problems before, so it must be related to unraid 6.

Do i have to complete a transfere to see any stats. in the diagnostics?

6 hours ago, umixut85 said:

How can i update my drivers when using unraid?

ON YOUR PC,  not your unRAID server! 

My problem was absolutely lousy network transfer performance between my PC and my unRAID server.  Since I had built my own WIN7 PC, I went to the MB manufacturer's Website and downloaded the latest MB Networking Drivers for the MB and WIN7 OS that I was using.  I installed them, the problem disappeared and has not reappeared.  If you own a manufactured PC, go to the manufacturer's Website (Dell, Hp, Etc.) and lookup the model and OS.  I will bet there are some Driver updates for that model and OS combination.  

I am not guaranteeing that this will fix your problem but it is one of the possible solutions.  

Ok! But no, my drivers on Win10 Machine are up to date. And the same happens to my Media Player when playing some file in Kodi. My Server is just too slow to deliver the data at time!

I had it runnig for many years now with just little problems here and there. As i said, it happened aftwr updateing to unraid 6 i think.

On some limetech page i've read it's absolutely necessary to have a 64bit CPU, don't know if my celeron is 64bit?

When i get home i'll start a copy process and repost my diagnostics!

22 minutes ago, umixut85 said:

On some limetech page i've read it's absolutely necessary to have a 64bit CPU, don't know if my celeron is 64bit?

IF unRAID is running, it is a 64 bit Processor.  I think the last 32 bit processor was probably made back in about 2009...  (The statement about needing a 64 bit processor came about when the LimeTech decided to go to 64 bit OS starting with version 6.  At that time, there still a number of folks still running 32 bit only CPU's.  That must have been back five or six years ago.  The Beta program was a long one and version 6.0 wasn't introduced until early in 2015 as I recall.) 

Double check on the Main page of your unRAID GUI and make sure that you don't have a errors there.  Reboot all switches and routers on your network.  (Those thing all have a CPU/SOC and use Linux.  Once in a while, they do have issues and a reboot will often fix things.)   You might want to move the unRAID server to a new port on the switch/router end and see if that makes a difference.   

Make sure that you have done anything like start using jumbo frames in an attempt to increase transfer speeds on some other leg of your network.  Not all devices play well with those settings.  

17 hours ago, John_M said:

You don't have a Realtek NIC. It's a Qualcomm Atheros:

02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Qualcomm Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 Gigabit or Fast Ethernet [1969:1026] (rev b0)
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. P5KPL-CM Motherboard [1043:8304]
	Kernel driver in use: ATL1E
	Kernel modules: atl1e

Asus P5KPL-CM is not my Board!!!

Maybe this is the reason?

I have Asus P5QL-E, and not a Qualcom Network Chip!

So wrong drivers imho!?

Edited by umixut85
46 minutes ago, umixut85 said:

I have Asus P5QL-E, and not a Qualcom Network Chip!

The support page for that motherboard doesn't specify the NIC chip used but if you go to the downloads page there is this:

391170552_ScreenShot2018-08-27at14_41_23.png.6db696da8b144a714408a60cad1a4797.png

So if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

I'd just use the Intel NIC instead, since you already have it installed.

8 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

If you want to prevent this from happening in the future, you should be able to turnoff the on-board NIC with a setting in the BIOS> 

Did that already. ? Unraid didn't want to use eth1 as eth0, it was a real struggle.

Setting eth1 as eth0 AND deaktivate the onboard NIC brought success.

Thanks!

Gery

Edited by umixut85
On 8/27/2018 at 1:32 PM, Frank1940 said:

The Beta program was a long one and version 6.0 wasn't introduced until early in 2015 as I recall.

I think lots of the beta time was spent on the Xen experiments. But it's correct that 32-bit processors are rather ancient. Even mobile phones prefers 64-bit processors.

13 hours ago, umixut85 said:

Unraid didn't want to use eth1 as eth0, it was a real struggle.

It's actually very easy. eth0 and eth1 and just labels. The thing that properly identifies a NIC is its MAC address. On the Settings -> Network Settings page there's a section called Interface Rules near the bottom. There you can choose which MAC address is associated with which eth label. But disabling your onboard NIC in the BIOS served the purpose.

1417607447_ScreenShot2018-08-28at18_10_28.png.be6c783a717e25fd52ecc4983b89bb08.png