Welcome to Unraid.net

jonp

Monitor settings (and monitor contrast ratios) are very important when doing white-on-black themes.  The problem is physiological as well. The eye attempts attempts to adapt to the average light level and this can compound the Monitor contrast ratio and settings problem. I think us older folks have a bigger problems with this than the younger ones because we don't have the same visual acuity as we did when we were younger.  

One thing you can do is readjust your monitor.  Most folks have the settings wrong and they are usually shifted so they crush the white levels.  (The display has more 'POP' in a brightly lit showroom! )  This tends to make the blacks a dirty gray depending on the native contrast ratio of the monitor.  There are setup tools (with various gray scale charts) available on the Internet to help you set these levels. (Most of the time when you are done, you won't like the results!  But you will soon adjust to them.)  Cheaper monitors may not even have an independent control on backlight.  Unfortunately, most monitors seem to do better (or we think they do) with black lettering on white backgrounds.   We have been programmed that way since birth.  

Edited by Frank1940
2 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Unfortunately, most monitors seem to better (or we think they do) with black lettering on white backgrounds.   We have been programmed that way since birth.

Depends on how old you are I guess. The first computers I used were definitely dark backgrounds with light lettering. GUIs changed all that by allowing screens to look more like the printed page, which is what most of us old folks first encountered when learning to read.

8 minutes ago, trurl said:

Depends on how old you are I guess. The first computers I used were definitely dark backgrounds with light lettering. GUIs changed all that by allowing screens to look more like the printed page, which is what most of us old folks first encountered when learning to read.

Right on computers.  In real life, I had thirty years where EVERYTHING I read was Black type on White paper.  About the age of thirty I encountered my first computer monitor.  Prior to that, all the computer output that I ever saw use from an IBM line printer or (in rare cases) a Teletype on paper.  The monitors /terminals (connected to a mini or main frame) were either white-on-black or green-on-black.  Most folks preferred the green screen ones but you didn't often have much choice as the company was buying them.  My first work PC (AT&T 6300) had a green screen monitor as I recall.   

1 hour ago, John_M said:

I know that serif fonts are unfashionable at the moment but they are so much more legible. But don't mind me, I'm a dinosaur.

This depends on monitor. Serifs always wins on printed media, when it comes to readability (unless printing very tiny text). But for computer monitors, it requires that the user has enough DPI. I use high-resolution monitors, so serifs are fine. But I know that at earlier times, sans-serif was easier to read because of display limitations. I don't know what the average display capabilites are for the forum users - especially for people viewing on mobile devices.

But I think the font is a bit too heavy, and a bit too large. But then several users did complain that the previous forum design had too small print. So it isn't easy to be perfect unless the user gets a percentage option on the profile page.

12 minutes ago, pwm said:

So it isn't easy to be perfect unless the user gets a percentage option on the profile page.

On Windows with Chrome and Firefox (Didn't check IE), you can change the percentage option by Holding down on the Ctrl-key and rolling the scroll wheel on the mouse.  I seem to recall that that adjustment is 'sticky' for that website.  

Edited by Frank1940
2 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

On Windows with Chrome and Firefox (Didn't check IE), you can change the percentage option by Holding down on the Ctrl-key and rolling the scroll wheel on the mouse.  I seem to recall that that adjustment is 'sticky' for that website.  

Not sticky (as in associated with the web site) to my knowledge. And several of the browsers remembers the percentage and will open new windows with the same percentage - which means that viewing one site at 80% and then opening the next site that already had optimum size means the user might have to adjust back to 100% for that window.

But the better PC-class browsers still gives better options than what is available for mobile phones. Some sites are horrible on a mobile phone because the site forces settings that the phone can't override.

1 hour ago, Frank1940 said:

This tends to make the blacks a dirty gray depending on the native contrast ratio of the monitor.

Best is to calibrate the monitor using any of the test tools - or the calibratin views often available on DVD and BD movies.

But a dark theme should not be pitch black. It should be based around dark grays. Pitch black almost always results in too high contrast unless you view the page in a pitch black room.

Same with a white layout. It should not use 100% white as the background. It should use a light gray background to not burn the eyes of the viewer.

When using a good electronic book reading software, the optimal settings may use a beige background for a light theme while using a satin-colored background for a dark night-time theme. Too much contrast is tiring in the long run, and should always be ignored. And this is more important as users has better monitors capable of larger contrasts between white and black - the white text or the white background should not feel like looking into a sun.

40 minutes ago, starbetrayer said:

Let me add another interesting question.

Will the links to your license key be changed ?

It would be nice to have that added and updated.

Can I skip why that even matters?  Not to say we couldn't or wouldn't do that, but I literally can see no purpose to us prioritizing or even doing that. 

1 minute ago, starbetrayer said:

@jonp,

I am not saying it is a priority.

As you just changed your domain name,just think about the fate of the following url https://keys.lime-technology.com/

I get it, but we still own the domain and have a server dedicated to keys at that url. I'm just wondering why it matters what url the keys are at?  Honestly just trying to understand if there's something more to this than I'm understanding. 

15 minutes ago, jonp said:

I get it, but we still own the domain and have a server dedicated to keys at that url. I'm just wondering why it matters what url the keys are at?  Honestly just trying to understand if there's something more to this than I'm understanding. 

13 minutes ago, bonienl said:

As long as the key service is replicated on the new domain (due to the redirection), there shouldn't be a problem.

Agreed