Welcome to Unraid.net

jonp

4 hours ago, ars92 said:

It definitely looks way better than all the screenshots shown here

Note that the look of the screenshots doesn't just depend on system and web browser, but also on what DPI the display is configured for. So a screen shot from a QHD or 4k monitor isn't likely to look similar to a screen shot from a monitor with lower DPI. And lots of mobile phones are configured to run with quite low DPI (to preserve the battery) even if the native display is high-resolution.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, John_M said:

Thanks for confirming that. I don't need to bother then. It looks as though the forum is displayed correctly on Windows machines, regardless of which browser is used. On macOS it looks worse but quite how much worse depends on the browser.

I'm surprised Firefox and Chrome aren't more consistent across platforms.

Browsers may use different font formats, such as true type (tt), embedded open type (eot), scalable vector graphics (svg), or web open font format (woff) to do the actual display of the font.

The web designer needs to add these different font formats to his page to ensure correct display of the font.

It also explains why rendering of the font may look different when another format is used (though theoretically all formats should display the same)

We're going to look into potentially changing the font specifically on the forum, but can some of you guys go to our main website at unraid.net and tell us if the font used in the text you see there for the various areas looks the same or different from the forums?

Here's a workaround for people who don't like the font:

Install the Ghostery browser add-on. Typekit is one of the things it can block, and it can be configured on a per-site basis — so you could leave it to not block anything system-wide, and just choose "Restrict on this site" when you're in the forum. Reload the page, and your browser should now be using whatever your default sans-serif font is (probably Helvetica).

image.png.6ca2aaa366cdce66e6211c45223c97eb.png

Ghostery should be available for any modern browser (I think Internet Explorer users are out of luck without upgrading to Edge, though).

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, pwm said:

Note that the look of the screenshots doesn't just depend on system and web browser, but also on what DPI the display is configured for. So a screen shot from a QHD or 4k monitor isn't likely to look similar to a screen shot from a monitor with lower DPI. And lots of mobile phones are configured to run with quite low DPI (to preserve the battery) even if the native display is high-resolution.

Agreed. That's why I specified 1:1 pixel mapping and a non-Retina display. When looking at the samples you also have to make sure that they are being viewed at 100%.

4 hours ago, jonp said:

We're going to look into potentially changing the font specifically on the forum, but can some of you guys go to our main website at unraid.net and tell us if the font used in the text you see there for the various areas looks the same or different from the forums?

Here's a sample from the home page, as I see it in Chrome/macOS:

279796242_ScreenShot2018-08-30at13_13_19.thumb.png.0d52652ff8f0e97cbde8b3b581a4024c.png

It looks pretty similar to this page, as far as I can tell.

Here's a sample of text from the forum as viewed in Firefox/Ubuntu, with the Allow pages to choose their own fonts box checked. The rendering looks better than in a Mac browser and less heavy than in a Windows browser:

1489105186_ScreenShot2018-08-30at13_26_34.png.843649a9da450550e3678c3db9dca0ac.png

Here's a sample from the home page as viewed in Firefox/Ubuntu. I'm not sure what's happening here but the lower case letter "t" looks terrible at the smaller point size:

1812437557_ScreenShot2018-08-30at13_28_01.thumb.png.0713ab1a0e3dfde8a019209d397ed3d0.png

Edited by John_M
4 minutes ago, John_M said:

Agreed. That's why I specified 1:1 pixel mapping and a non-Retina display. When looking at the samples you also have to make sure that they are being viewed at 100%.

Viewing at 1:1 is obviously important. But the DPI decides how many 1:1 pixels that are used to render a 12point font, since the point system relates to an inch - there are 72 pica points in an inch and when rendering to printer or display, the computer needs to figure out how many pixels the output medium fits in an inch.

Viewing that bitmap at 1:1 on a different monitor with a different DPI will show the characters larger or smaller than on the original system, since the pixel sizes will differ. Apple have been using the term Retina for a rather large span of DPI - from about 220 DPI to 460 DPI. Lots of Windows installations are also using quite arbitrary DPI settings, i.e. Windows isn't configured to match the true DPI of the monitor - that's a common trick to force rendered information to be larger or smaller.

@ars92 I noticed those speech bubbles that have replaced the bullet (thread that contains unread messages) and the star (thread to which you have contributed that contains unread messages). But which style of speech bubble icon means which and how am I supposed to remember? I suppose they look prettier but they are less functional.

Bullet and star = easy

Two slightly different speech bubbles = difficult

1 hour ago, John_M said:

@ars92 I noticed those speech bubbles that have replaced the bullet (thread that contains unread messages) and the star (thread to which you have contributed that contains unread messages). But which style of speech bubble icon means which and how am I supposed to remember? I suppose they look prettier but they are less functional.

Bullet and star = easy

Two slightly different speech bubbles = difficult

Filled speech bubbles means you have been busy filling it.

Empty speech bubbles means the thread is waiting for you to fill it with good content.

Grayed speech bubbles means no new content.

Edited by pwm
16 minutes ago, pwm said:

Filled speech bubbles means you have been busy filling it.

Empty speech bubbles means the thread is waiting for you to fill it with good content.

Grayed speech bubbles means no new content.

Lol. Thanks. I'll try to remember that. It would be nice if the tooltip could act as a reminder.

37 minutes ago, John_M said:

Are you serious? Firefox does it better but the Safari render is awful.

I wouldn't say it awful but probably that's just me being used to Safari not font smoothing as effectively on an external display, on the internal retina display in Safari font smoothing/anti-aliasing appears to be much better although the font still looks bolder in Firefox.

9 minutes ago, Ultra-Humanite said:

I wouldn't say it awful but probably that's just me being used to Safari not font smoothing as effectively on an external display, on the internal retina display in Safari font smoothing/anti-aliasing appears to be much better although the font still looks bolder in Firefox.

The higher resolution Retina display has more pixels per inch, so more scope for anti-aliasing than a lower resolution display. Windows browsers make a better job of rendering this particular font on a "standard resolution" monitor than Mac browsers do on the same monitor. I would be interested to see a grab from a Retina display though, as I don't have one.

You do have to be careful with screen grabs if they are in .jpg format.  I know that with the previous BB that they were scaled down in size when inserted inline in the text portion of the message.  (I was uploading 'Banner' headings for the GUI and they were being scaled about 50%.)  IF this is still true, what you see may not be what the original poster saw...

1 hour ago, Frank1940 said:

You do have to be careful with screen grabs if they are in .jpg format.  I know that with the previous BB that they were scaled down in size when inserted inline in the text portion of the message.  (I was uploading 'Banner' headings for the GUI and they were being scaled about 50%.)  IF this is still true, what you see may not be what the original poster saw...

But the poster of the bitmap can at least spot if the bitmap doesn't look the same as the text output. When I look at the bitmap from my monitor, it looks the same as the text above/below. But I intentionally cropped down the width to reduce the probability of the forum scaling it in the inline view.

5 minutes ago, pwm said:

I intentionally cropped down the width to reduce the probability of the forum scaling it in the inline view.

I don't trust the inline view. All my comparisons have been done on the actual files loaded into a viewer program (Preview on macOS) with the scaling specifically set to 100%.