Welcome to Unraid.net

jonp

6 minutes ago, bonienl said:

I have the feeling the Nudista font is not used (overruled?) in the case of John_M

Yes, it definitely explains why some people thinks the text is thin and hard to read, while I can't even under weapon threat claim the text is hard to read.

It was because other peoples descriptions felt so much off from what I saw, that I felt a need for screenshot comparisons.

6 minutes ago, John_M said:

I certainly don't have it installed so where does the browser get it from in order to render the page? Is it embedded into the stylesheet?

We use typekit.com to serve up the Nudista webfont.  Normally it's included on the page using a few CSS tags.  We're using the javascript method which is suppose to eliminate some of the page transition while the font is streamed from typekit.

18 minutes ago, bonienl said:

I have the feeling the Nudista font is not used (overruled?) in the case of John_M

Overruled? Is there something I need to change in my browser settings? What is it using instead? If it was to substitute Helvetica then at least I'd be able to read it.

5 minutes ago, John_M said:

Overruled? Is there something I need to change in my browser settings? What is it using instead? If it was to substitute Helvetica then at least I'd be able to read it.

In Firefox Windows version (sorry don't have a Mac) there is the option to allow or disallow custom fonts.

image.png.85fe65a460af31d492d81d1fb55e7384.png

12 minutes ago, bonienl said:

In Firefox Windows version (sorry don't have a Mac) there is the option to allow or disallow custom fonts.

Firefox/Mac is very similar to Firefox/Windows in that respect and I have the Allow pages to choose their own fonts box checked.

Chrome/Mac seems to need an extension to handle advanced font settings so I downloaded it and then found that it doesn't have an equivalent setting. It's mentions scripts so I left it well alone.

I had as good as retired Safari/Mac because of the websockets mess but I'll give it a try with the forum.

Safari on macOS High Sierra renders the forum rather like Chrome does but the text size is bigger:

297644563_ScreenShot2018-08-29at21_32_06.png.f8107c57d5aaeec6e7c46c2bc1b6d4ca.png

Of the browser/OS combinations I've tried so far it looks best by far on Edge/Windows 10, which is presumably what most people are using. I'll try Chrome and Firefox on Windows 10 too.

6 minutes ago, John_M said:

Of the browser/OS combinations I've tried so far it looks best by far on Edge/Windows 10, which is presumably what most people are using. I'll try Chrome and Firefox on Windows 10 too.

I always use Chrome unless some site doesn't work with it, then I go to Firefox. Internet Explorer is still around on Windows 10 so that is my 3rd option. Practically never used Edge. I have those others tamed pretty well and don't need another one to try to whip into shape.

2 minutes ago, John_M said:

I primarily use Firefox on Windows 10 and, occasionally, Chrome.  They look the same to me.  I also just viewed the forum on Edge and I don't see a noticeable difference between it and Firefox or Chrome.

1 hour ago, Hoopster said:

I also just viewed the forum on Edge and I don't see a noticeable difference between it and Firefox or Chrome.

When the web designers knows what they are doing, then you shouldn't see much difference between browsers unless the user have decided to explicitly tweak their browser. I'm still curious why the typekit download doesn't work for some users.

48 minutes ago, Squid said:

You're obviously not a Windows user.

I use it when I have to, but never by choice. I used Windows NT 4 and 2000 Pro and Server at work back in the day when I managed and maintained an Avid Unity SAN and editing workstations. When that was decommissioned it was replaced with an Apple XSan and Mac Pros running Final Cut Studio and I've used a MacBook Pro as my daily companion ever since. My current one has the RAM in sockets and space inside for two 2.5-inch storage devices and a decent sized battery. I bought it in 2010 and it's still perfectly usable. I've replaced the battery, the fan (twice), I've upgraded the RAM and the storage and it's on its third power adapter but the operating system is current. Apple stuff isn't cheap but this was worth every penny. The end of the line is in sight, though. There's a new macOS coming in the autumn but I won't be able to run it. I won't be buying a new Mac though because Apple just doesn't make them like they used to. Maybe I'll build a Hackintosh, or maybe run a macOS VM on unRAID. For something that needs a bit more grunt than the old laptop I have a nice Ryzen desktop box running Ubuntu Studio and the desktop box that it replaced has Windows 10 on it. So, yes, Windows would be my third choice.

9 minutes ago, pwm said:

I'm still curious why the typekit download doesn't work for some users.

So what do you suppose my browsers are doing? The text I'm seeing is clearly Nudista - it just isn't being rendered properly. If it just substituted Helvetica that would be an improvement.

I'll try unchecking that box in Firefox.

9 minutes ago, John_M said:

So what do you suppose my browsers are doing? The text I'm seeing is clearly Nudista - it just isn't being rendered properly. If it just substituted Helvetica that would be an improvement.

I'll try unchecking that box in Firefox.

I'm quite good with HTML but leaves the true CSS magic to professionals. I know what the CSS constructs does, but doesn't have the professional knowledge about what goofs different web browsers suffers from and what workarounds that are needed. My speciality is in systems-level coding, electronics and interfacing directly with the hardware. So quite far from web front-end work.

1 hour ago, Hoopster said:

I also just viewed the forum on Edge and I don't see a noticeable difference between it and Firefox or Chrome.

Thanks for confirming that. I don't need to bother then. It looks as though the forum is displayed correctly on Windows machines, regardless of which browser is used. On macOS it looks worse but quite how much worse depends on the browser.

I'm surprised Firefox and Chrome aren't more consistent across platforms.

I'm running a 2017 Macbook Pro running 10.13.6. Here is what it looks like across 3 browers. From left to right:

Safari, Chrome, Firefox

They all do look slightly different with Firefox looking bold. I should add that I think it's fine and readable across all 3.

Screen Shot 2018-08-29 at 4.28.48 PM.png

Edited by CrashnBrn
6 minutes ago, CrashnBrn said:

They all do look slightly different with Firefox looking bold. I should add that I think it's fine and readable across all 3.

That agrees with my findings. However, I disagree that it's fine and readable when compared with how it looks in a Windows browser. The difference is quite shocking.

5 minutes ago, John_M said:

That agrees with my findings. However, I disagree that it's fine and readable when compared with how it looks in a Windows browser. The difference is quite shocking.

I'll try the same test on Windows 10 and see how it looks when I get home. Now I'm curious how it compares.

3 minutes ago, CrashnBrn said:

I'll try the same test on Windows 10 and see how it looks when I get home. Now I'm curious how it compares.

I posted a sample a page or two back. But check for yourself, by all means. Here:

Edited by John_M
Added link

Guys have you tried looking at the forum using chrome on android? At least for me on my note 9 the font looks great! So much so im thinking of using this font system wide somehow lol. It definitely looks way better than all the screenshots shown here

Could it be that android has nudista available natively?

Screenshot_20180830-095218_Chrome.jpg