Welcome to Unraid.net

jonp

22 hours ago, nuhll said:

I made some suggestions to make unraid easier for "non technical users" but it doesnt seem like i was welcome with it. I got literally destroyed.

I went through your feature requests and don't see anything out of ordinary.

Remember a feature request is a wish for enhancement, not an incentive and direct order to implement.

People are always welcome to make feature requests, some get implemented, some don't.

• Upvote 1
On 9/16/2018 at 9:43 AM, bonienl said:

When a new feature is added, there is also associated Help text included in the GUI. The Help text should give the user a basic understanding of how to use and configure the feature. It is not a full fletched explanatory as a wiki can be, but certainly is helpful ;)

Often I get the impression however that people do not consult the Help text at all.

Honestly I always look for Help in the GUI first simply because I often treat it as a Frequently asked question and its way easier to put the answer there first before any other location. 

Nice Job on keeping those up bonienl. :x

6 hours ago, kizer said:

Honestly I always look for Help in the GUI first

I'm a real man :)  I play around, play around, play around, wonder why it's not working, and only after my wife yells at me for how much I'm yelling at the server do I give up and press Help.  Lo and behold, the answer is there...

@bonienl

@limetech

- im specially talking about the "clever implemention of putting same files into same directory on the drives" suggestion thread. 

- Another thing Unraid should have on his own would be some sort of cache, like the broken cache plugin.

- Or a file editor, all things which were already 100 times requestet. Its like if u install windows and need a 3rd party app to watch pictures or open text files.... (standard formats)

- Also a way to see WHY disks dont spin down would be very clever.

Im no programer but i guess all these things are """easy""" to implement.

Edited by nuhll
21 hours ago, nuhll said:

- Or a file editor, all things which were already 100 times requestet. Its like if u install windows and need a 3rd party app to watch pictures or open text files.... (standard formats)

Devil's advocate on this one:  Vast majority of time you're accessing the UI of unRaid via another system (Windows, ubuntu, etc)  And they all have the ability to do that built-in.  My opinion (mine alone) is that the webUI boot mode of unRaid is for emergency access only to the system when you're using the server as your primary day-to-day system.  Personally, I can't even think of a time that I ever even used the "shares" tab and browsed the files a share with it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
On 11/7/2018 at 10:20 PM, bonienl said:

I am not a car mechanic, but I think it must be """easy""" to turn my 2-wheel drive car into a 4-wheel drive car

I mean its addable without constructing a complete new car. Thats the kind of offense i mean, which brings ppl to the "they dont care" perspective,w hich doesnt help to add new ideas.

@Squid

Im not sure what u mean. Were talking about making unraid end user friendly which means: the product has to work how a normal non technican user would think of. Which means integrated terminal access (which is added perfectly btw), file browser (&file editor, for text). Standard things like smb cache and so on. The way its added under shares is complete unintuetive and ofc no one uses that, thats why im asking for a rework.

The Smart "split level" idea i posted is also a perfect example which would probably work best for most "standard users".

Adding such nice to have features open the market for the common user where they can make much money which in the end all unraid users helps.

Edited by nuhll
2 minutes ago, nuhll said:

I mean its addable without constructing a complete new car. Thats the kind of offense i mean, which brings ppl to the "they dont care" perspective.

@Squid

Im not sure what u mean. Were talking about making unraid end user friendly which means: the product has to work how a normal non technican user would think of. Which means integrated terminal access (which is added perfectly btw), file browser (&file editor, for text). Standard things like smb cache and so on. The way its added under shares is complete unintuetive and ofc no one uses that, thats why im asking for a rework.

The Smart "split level" idea i posted is also a perfect example which would probably work best for most "standard users".

Of course we "care" man, but everyone has different ideas about what is the best things to add, or fix, and in meantime, we have to keep the doors open.  But suggestions are welcome and sorry if we don't reply, doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't seen or added to the list.

Your perspective is skewed -- unRaid is not a desktop, it's a server.
I would challenge that Unraid is whatever it's users want it to be. For some it's a dedicated file server, for others, they use it as a combo server and desktop. We try to focus on what people want as opposed to trying to put the product into a specific label which deems what is fair.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The thing is, i have both perspectives and i already realized some programs and also my work has much to do with "translating" between tech and normal users. 

Why i love unraid is that you can make what ever you want. thats THE strenght of unraid. If you only want to do one specific thing, then probably every other solution specified for that is better then unraid... ^^

Another idea i have in my mind (but i guess tahts harder to implement and would need core changes) to make unraid scalable, Like one UI and a seperate smb server, seperate VM server, seperate plugins server, (or multiple, and or mixes of it). But everything controlled via one UI. 

Another thing i already mentioned in one of th elatest patch threads was a new branch in "update OS" where u can select"always latest" (includinge stable and beta) 

Edited by nuhll
56 minutes ago, jonp said:

I would challenge that Unraid is whatever it's users want it to be. For some it's a dedicated file server, for others, they use it as a combo server and desktop. We try to focus on what people want as opposed to trying to put the product into a specific label which deems what is fair.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

They really shouldn't be doing so as user "ROOT". If Limetech wants it to be a suitable desktop then please make the needed changes to provide real user accounts to be used as that purpose.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, BRiT said:

They really shouldn't be doing so as user "ROOT". If Limetech wants it to be a suitable desktop then please make the needed changes to provide real user accounts to be used as that purpose.

This^

We've been fighting for years to get unraid secured, letting people have at it with a firefox browser running as ROOT is hardly best practice.

On 11/7/2018 at 3:15 AM, nuhll said:

Im no programer but i guess all these things are """easy""" to implement.

This is the kind of remark that offends me and is disrespectful towards the developers. Your implied message is "why didn't you implement this yet"

There is really no need for you to add this statement. It is fine to make feature requests, and for the record some of your earlier requests are implemented, but leave the judgement of implementation to the developers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, bonienl said:

This is the kind of remark that offends me and is disrespectful towards the developers. Your implied message is "why didn't you implement this yet"

There is really no need for you to add this statement. It is fine to make feature requests, and for the record some of your earlier requests are implemented, but leave the judgement of implementation to the developers.

Its not my fault when you want to understand offense in every sentence i write, you know im a non native english speaker, ill do my best to help the community and the development of unraid and i like to develop new ideas and concepts. I have just few programming skills in php, html (i know its no programming), java, so thats not a part where i can help.

When i say "easy to add", like i already wrote earlier , i mean that this is probably add-able without changes to the core of unraid. Just like a cosmetical upgrade.

Underline is, some of the expierienced users here make it hard for new ppl to make suggestions and or develop ideas. Without any flame or anything, just my feelings. (and i know i did somethings wrong when i first visted this forum)

Also, ofc, what to add and in which order is up to the devs, but i was not complaining about devs not adding my ideas, i ment just the mentality here which destroys such ideas from the beginning. Like as i had the idea with the smart split level, instead of thinking together how to make it work or how to make it better, i just felt beeing "attacked", make fun of and so on and thats hard when you dont speak the language as a mother language.

I guess what i write is on some point also very funny xD but not on purpose.

Edited by nuhll

It is already said by Limetech and myself: we do appreciate your feature requests.

Your proposed "smart split level" feature did start a discussion, which is the usual case here and people vowe their concerns or ask more questions to understand better. I don't see any personal attack in that topic. Language is a difficult thing, especially if it is not your native language.

Rest assured. Limetech does take feature requests seriously, but can't guarantee that all feature requests are implemented due to various reaons.

• Upvote 2
8 minutes ago, limetech said:

What, specifically, is the issue?

Running processes with unknown and ongoing security concerns with more privileges than are necessary. Root should only be used to do things that a sandboxed user can't accomplish. General web browsing should be isolated from root functionality.

16 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Running processes with unknown and ongoing security concerns with more privileges than are necessary. Root should only be used to do things that a sandboxed user can't accomplish. General web browsing should be isolated from root functionality.

Again, what is the issue?  Do you use the Unraid 'desktop' firefox browser to do anything other than manage the server?

16 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Are you talking about the GUI boot option that uses Firefox on the console?  Or the normal GUI login which can also use many other browser besides Firefox.  If it is the latter, every other device on my network (cable modem, router, access point, two printers) all use GUI's with root access to administer them. 

7 minutes ago, thehacker said:

so insted of lime technolagy, it should be called orange technolagy

Why?  You know Lime's are a fruit, not just a color.  Why is Apple's logo not Green or Red?

, ok also why is it called unraid not unlime or something that origanly.

Because unlime doesn't actually mean anything and wouldn't make any sense?

fianlly why .net not .com?

That one is kinda obvious...

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, thehacker said:

so insted of lime technolagy, it should be called orange technolagy, ok also why is it called unraid not unlime or something that origanly. fianlly why .net not .com?

We wanted to 'modernize' the site, esp. for mobile and so we consulted with a firm whose business is designing websites.  They suggested a different color scheme and recommended orange-ish, so we went with that.  Also, a few years ago my brother looked at the site and said, "Looks like you're in the grocery business". :)  We wanted to de-emphasize the "limes" and change from "lime-technology" to "unraid" because it's shorter and what most ppl these days think of.  Would have loved to go with 'unraid.com' but that domain is owned by someone who wouldn't return any emails.

So there's the explanation.  Earth shattering right?  Always will be some who like it and some who hate it, but most are "meh".

Edit: extra benefit since changing to unraid.net domain: not as many emails from people asking about concrete. 😎

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1