Welcome to Unraid.net

jonp

15 minutes ago, bonienl said:

Ps Jonp announced that a white colored theme is in the making.

Hopefully it will be somewhat less bright than 255,255,255. I'd prefer something closer to 230,225,220

The whole thing of the background MUST be all the way at FFFFFF or 000000 is not good IMHO. I'd prefer to let my eyes and my monitor have some range left.

6 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Hopefully it will be somewhat less bright than 255,255,255. I'd prefer something closer to 230,225,220

The whole thing of the background MUST be all the way at FFFFFF or 000000 is not good IMHO. I'd prefer to let my eyes and my monitor have some range left.

We'll probably use the same "off white" color from the website's subpages for the background.  No full white / black.

31 minutes ago, jbartlett said:

Posts on the old site that were posted with black text are now very hard to read.

Dark color options just don't work any more..

I never understood why folks felt the need to manually set the text color to black.  Every iteration of our forums previously used black text by default, so why did folks feel the need to manually set the font color to the same as the default? The dark text not showing up on the new forum isn't a fault of the forum theme, but rather, improperly using text formatting when it isn't necessary.

While we are working on a black text on white background theme, it won't be made as the default (this dark theme will remain as the default).  And if you're using colors for your posts that don't read well on black or white backgrounds, then don't use them.  Pick neutral colors.

5 minutes ago, jonp said:

I never understood why folks felt the need to manually set the text color to black. 

Perhaps because they try a colour but decide they don't like it and so they change it back but choose the somewhat more obvious 'black' instead of the rather obscure 'auto'.

New theme is fresh, but I'm definitely finding the font colours and type hard to read - it somehow looks blurry to my eyes particularly the signatures, and I usually opt for dark themes (although the current unraid default works best for me)

Edited by DZMM
22 minutes ago, jonp said:

I never understood why folks felt the need to manually set the text color to black.

In the case of the DockerFAQ, it was because the first half of it was copied from the WayBack machine's cache of the SMF thread (trying to remember who inadvertently deleted the FAQ from IPS), and the colors got messed up in translation.

5 minutes ago, Squid said:

In the case of the DockerFAQ, it was because the first half of it was copied from the WayBack machine's cache of the SMF thread (trying to remember who inadvertently deleted the FAQ from IPS), and the colors got messed up in translation.

Should be relatively minimal effort to convert the text to default instead of having one specified, no?

1 minute ago, jonp said:

Should be relatively minimal effort to convert the text to default instead of having one specified, no?

Just time.  Already tried editing, selecting the text and switching to Automatic (didn't work).  Switching to "White" didn't work.  Have to copy over to Notepad, then paste it back, while avoiding the links contained within the posts....

lol Every time there's a forum change my workload tends to increase exponentially :) 

12 minutes ago, Squid said:

Just time.  Already tried editing, selecting the text and switching to Automatic (didn't work).  Switching to "White" didn't work.  Have to copy over to Notepad, then paste it back, while avoiding the links contained within the posts....

lol Every time there's a forum change my workload tends to increase exponentially :) 

Weird, I just tried and saw the exact same behavior as you.  I'll investigate...

55 minutes ago, jonp said:

I never understood why folks felt the need to manually set the text color to black.  Every iteration of our forums previously used black text by default, so why did folks feel the need to manually set the font color to the same as the default?

Same reason why some people feel a need to post their questions using larger, bold, italic, colored text just to show they have the skill to press all buttons available - or maybe because they would get better service by making their text look different.

Best is probably to teach the site that hard-selected "black" or "white" color should not be treated as that but as the complement of the used theme. No one should be allowed to write black on black or white on white.

47 minutes ago, DZMM said:

New theme is fresh, but I'm definitely finding the font colours and type hard to read - it somehow looks blurry to my eyes particularly the signatures,

Not the first person complaining about the fonts. Someone else complained about spidery text.

That makes me suspect that some web browsers hasn't selected the correct font. I do not see any spidery text and I don't find the signatures hard to read. But the main post text is quite bold and quite large. Maybe different people needs to take screenshots and post so we can see if all text renders similarly.

OK. This is what I see. Not spidery and not bold. I wouldn't say large either. The x-height is large and the descenders are short. The strokes are thin. I'm using Chrome browser on macOS High Sierra and the text appears a similar size to the system font (Helvetica Neue) but is less legible. It's a standard monitor with pixels mapped 1:1 (i.e. not a Retina display).

1256259220_ScreenShot2018-08-29at19_29_12.png.590a84fe91d63ea9a38ca12d859112db.png

19 minutes ago, John_M said:

OK. This is what I see. Not spidery and not bold. I wouldn't say large either. The x-height is large and the descenders are short. The strokes are thin. I'm using Chrome browser on macOS High Sierra and the text appears a similar size to the system font (Helvetica Neue) but is less legible. It's a standard monitor with pixels mapped 1:1 (i.e. not a Retina display).

1256259220_ScreenShot2018-08-29at19_29_12.png.590a84fe91d63ea9a38ca12d859112db.png

Wow, that's vastly different than what I see.  The top is what I see and the bottom is what you see in the same screenshot for comparison's sake.  Might be a font issue with certain PCs/Browsers.  We'll have to look into that.

test.PNG

'

4 minutes ago, jbartlett said:

haha, sa'right. My first thought when I noticed my account link in the footer is that it looked like I could be downloaded.

lol!  Shhh....  That's a 6.6 hidden feature (download yourself to a Unraid server of your choosing).  ;-)

28 minutes ago, John_M said:

A significant difference between your text and mine.

20180829_new_layout.png.938494d808403099efb38c2071639ba3.png

4 minutes ago, John_M said:

Is it embedded into the stylesheet?

I haven't looked at the styling of this site, but it's possible to have the styling specify a foreign font complete with download URL. The site owner can even buy a font for user with their site, and the download servers will verify the referrer field to see that the request is trigged from a paying domain.