Unraid 3 questions before purchase

1. If I upgrade hardware to a motherboard that can handle more than 6 sata drives can I plug and play the flash drive or do I have to email unraid and or reinstall the OS?
  2. Can I use a large capacity external drive to backup the entire array in an image file for off site storage?
  3. Is there anyway to "upgrade" from say the Basic version to the Plus version without paying the full $89?  For example if I buy the $60 Basic version can I then pay $30 to upgrade?
45 minutes ago, kernelpaniced said:

If I upgrade hardware to a motherboard that can handle more than 6 sata drives can I plug and play the flash drive or do I have to email unraid and or reinstall the OS?

You can move the USB to a newer machine. When adding more disks, you might have to upgrade to a more expensive license depending on how many disks that are supported by the license you originally buy.

46 minutes ago, kernelpaniced said:

Can I use a large capacity external drive to backup the entire array in an image file for off site storage?

No image backup. And not even practical. unRAID stores non-striped data. So every single data disk is basically a stand-alone disk. Each data disk has a separate file system.

You can do your backup by copying individual disks to external storage (over ethernet, USB, ...) or you can backup user shares spanning multiple disks (assuming the destination can handle that amount of file data).

48 minutes ago, kernelpaniced said:

Is there anyway to "upgrade" from say the Basic version to the Plus version without paying the full $89?  For example if I buy the $60 Basic version can I then pay $30 to upgrade?

There is an update path. You pay a little update fee, but still way less than buying a completely new license.

The Basic license is $59. Updating to Plus costs $39.

See the update tab on:

https://lime-technology.com/pricing/

On 8/28/2018 at 8:20 AM, kernelpaniced said:

If I upgrade hardware to a motherboard that can handle more than 6 sata drives can I plug and play the flash drive or do I have to email unraid and or reinstall the OS?

The flash drive contains the license and the entire OS and unRAID system configuration. You run the unRAID OS on any machine with a licensed flash drive.  The license is not tied to a hardware configuration, so, upgrading the motherboard, CPU, etc. does not have any impact on the license.  Of course, adding drives will mean making changes to the array configuration.

Can I use a large capacity external drive to backup the entire array in an image file for off site storage?

You don't backup by making an image of the server like you might a Windows PC, but you can copy data from the unRAID array to an external drive or another unRAID system (I do both as well as cloud backup).  Many use the Unassigned Devices plugin to do this.

Is there anyway to "upgrade" from say the Basic version to the Plus version without paying the full $89?  For example if I buy the $60 Basic version can I then pay $30 to upgrade?

Yes, there is upgrade pricing between license levels that is much less than the full price of the next level license.  There is a small premium, so, it is just a bit more than the difference in the license cost between the license levels, but, you can upgrade for less than full price.

Edited by Hoopster

IIRC, you basically pay $9 + difference between the 2 licenses costs to upgrade from 1 license to another.

The ability to backup depends on how big your array is. If it's bigger than 12GB then there's nothing consumer level out there for what you are after. You theoretically can use a RAID-based external enclosure for more than 12GB but I don't think the cost is justifiable, especially for back up.

For offsite anyway, you are better off using an online backup service, unless you are going to physically and regularly transport the external storage between offsite and onsite locations. Or if you are Linus and have a dedicated offsite location.