First time UnRAID'ing - can't even get UI! :-)

Froberg

6 minutes ago, trurl said:

You can't actually preclear a disk that is already assigned to the array. And that is a good thing since preclear overwrites the entire disk with zeros.

No requirement to have a parity disk or in fact even an array just to do preclears though.

Alright.. so I just add my SSD as the sole storage device, add the community apps and run preclear on the drives? 

I am in this situation because Xpenology dropped a disk from my array, citing failures. I pulled it, ran smart tests, found nothing, reinserted it. Meanwhile xpenology had failed another disk - i.e. array gone. 

Since I couldn't verify anything actually wrong with any of the drives (smart tests are all fine, although one fails on the short test using Western Digitals tool in Windows, but completed an extended test without issue..?) I assumed it was a software issue and decided I didn't want to use Xpenology any more, since it's so frustratingly difficult to update having to wait for someone to hack Synology every time.. and being unable to patch errors in the interim. (It dropping my entire website config during an automatic package update didn't help matters, either.. but that's for another time..) 

At any rate. I would really like to stress these drives as much as possible before setting up a new system with them. If any of them is failing, I need to locate it - and considering I went with UnRAID due to a sudden reboot and loss of my array in FreeNAS minutes after having spent four days transferring my backup back in to the array, it seems like a prudent thing to be doing. Testing, I mean. So considering I have 4x6TB drives and a 250GB SSD connected, what's my best option going forward? Adding the SSD as an "array" and doing the tests - starting from scratch on a new USB once the 10TB arrives? 

6 minutes ago, pwm said:

It is most probably compatible with unRAID. But maybe not fully compatible with how your BIOS handles the USB ports. unRAID depends on the drive being available directly when the Linux kernel has booted - but with some BIOS, the USB port seems to renegotiate (and so dropping the drive) when Linux is starting. This is more common with USB 3 ports, because the BIOS does not have "full" USB support - it has some limited abilities to handle a mouse+keyboard and boot disks over USB but isn't nowhere near the support of the full USB stack in Windows or Linux. So the BIOS often doesn't configure all the USB host controller functionality. And it's hard for Linux to later reconfigure the USB host without confusing the specific USB device.

The above is also a reason why a number of people can solve their problems by trying different USB ports. Different ports may use different chips, and so result in different discontinuity situations when the handling of the USB hardware is handed over from BIOS to the Linux kernel.

This motherboard is a server motherboard and only comes with two USB ports on the back, and also an internal (unused) header. I have had variable results actually using the internal header though, so I'm just sticking with the port in the back. It's got IPMI so it's not like I need the USB ports for anything.

6 minutes ago, Froberg said:

Adding the SSD as an "array" and doing the tests - starting from scratch on a new USB once the 10TB arrives? 

No need to start from scratch on a new USB. You can start from scratch on the same USB, or start from where you already are and just setup a new disk configuration (Tools - New Config).

It seems I hit UnRAID in the middle of a transition period.. I was using this guide; https://lime-technology.com/getting-started/ which contains a link to recommended USB devices, but it resolves to a 404 page on the new domain instead. 

I'd really prefer migrating the config to a new USB device.. as the one I am using now is fairly ancient and - as I mentioned - of an unknown make/model. I'd rather shell out for a supported quality drive since this server is fairly important to me. Anyone got a short-list? Even the wiki reference 404's: https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/Getting_Started (I did try searching for it on the main site. ;-)

1 minute ago, Froberg said:

It seems I hit UnRAID in the middle of a transition period.. I was using this guide; https://lime-technology.com/getting-started/ which contains a link to recommended USB devices, but it resolves to a 404 page on the new domain instead. 

I'd really prefer migrating the config to a new USB device.. as the one I am using now is fairly ancient and - as I mentioned - of an unknown make/model. I'd rather shell out for a supported quality drive since this server is fairly important to me. Anyone got a short-list? Even the wiki reference 404's: https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/Getting_Started (I did try searching for it on the main site. ;-)

Alas quite a lot of 404 links right now to unraid.net. Just hours since this forum moved from a limes technology domain name to unraid.net. So I bet the admins has lots of work to do to catch 404 requests and apply redirects.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, pwm said:

At least some Cruzer Fit drives runs quite hot because of the small size. But the USB 2 variantes are at least cooler than the USB 3 variants. Unless you are worried that someone will bump into the drive, it might be better to go for a full-size thumb drive.

I was just going of the image on the guide page really. Kingston recommended? https://www.computersalg.dk/i/887769/kingston-datatraveler-se9-usb

1 minute ago, Froberg said:

I was just going of the image on the guide page really. Kingston recommended? https://www.computersalg.dk/i/887769/kingston-datatraveler-se9-usb

Most USB 2 drives from Kingston and Sandisk should work well. Just with a slight warning for drives with tiny form factor. And a big warning for USB 3 devices.

I have one system with a datatraveler - I think it's a SE9. It has worked well for maybe 5 years. (But I have seen people have issues with SE9 G2 that is USB 3)

I also have a system with a Sandisk Cruzer Blade - also maybe 5 years of perfect function.

• Upvote 1
There's no USB 3.0 port in the server, so hardly a point to getting anything 3.0 anyway.  I think I'll grab the 16 gig kingston and see how we do. 
Actually, never a point in getting a usb3 (or using a usb3 port) if you can avoid it. You save maybe a second on bootup and that's it. Plus usb2 is so much more reliable

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Froberg said:

There's no USB 3.0 port in the server, so hardly a point to getting anything 3.0 anyway. 🙂 I think I'll grab the 16 gig kingston and see how we do. 

It's just that lots of stores are starting to focus on selling USB 3.0 devices since the cost difference is low. But besides giving more boot problems depending on motherboard etc, USB 3.0 devices tends to be very hot so they cook the flash memory. Every 10°C warmer flash memory means the retention time for the data is halved. So a 20°C warmer flash memory has only one fourth the retention time. And unRAID doesn't constantly write to the flash so the content isn't regularly getting refreshed.

1 minute ago, pwm said:

It's just that lots of stores are starting to focus on selling USB 3.0 devices since the cost difference is low. But besides giving more boot problems depending on motherboard etc, USB 3.0 devices tends to be very hot so they cook the flash memory. Every 10°C warmer flash memory means the retention time for the data is halved. So a 20°C warmer flash memory has only one fourth the retention time. And unRAID doesn't constantly write to the flash so the content isn't regularly getting refreshed.

That's very good to know, thank you. 🙂

Just to chip in here, I recently built an unraid system for a friend and took a chance and went with the Samsung USB 3 fit drive (16GB) and it worked a treat, even booted via ahci mode with no issues (except a strange unraid cert issue) just thought I would mention it as a known working usb drive, although obviously other mobos may or may not have the same success.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, testdasi said:

I got the same one but caution with the really high capacity. My 16GB works but before that a 32GB didnt. Same port, same everything. Both worked fine in Windows and bought from Amazon direct.

Guide does say 32 gig limit for USB drive. I think I'll just get the Kingston one and see where that gets me. I have a few of them already, but USB3, so guess I gotta shell out 🙂