Security Camera System With unRAID Recommendations

I am looking for suggestions on an exterior security camera system that detects motion, starts recording the video and sends a notification to my iPhone. I would prefer the video to be stored on my unRAID server and not in the cloud.  Can anyone suggest a system that they have working with unRAID or know of a system that could work? I am not looking to spend thousands of dollars on a state of the art security system but maybe $200-$300 dollars on a 3 exterior camera system... I am not sure if this is even a reasonable budget so let me know if I am crazy! Thanks!

I am testing MotionEye Docker at the moment. It looks very simple and easy, but I am not sure if it is powerfull enough for my needs.

Zoneminder also always pops up if you search a good tool for security cameras. There is a docker for that too, but it looks way more complicated than MotionEye, but also more powerfull. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Greygoose said:

I have hikvision cameras setup with blue iris running in a windows VM.

I would prefer a docker instead of the VM however blue iris is the best platform I can find.

I, too, have hikvision cameras with blue iris running in a windows VM and would also prefer a docker. There is a blue iris docker (in development I think). I tried posting on their forum for an update/offering support where I can, but haven't heard anything.

• Like 1

Thanks for the response so far! For those using Blue Iris as a VM, what resources (CPU and RAM) have you dedicated for blue iris? Their website has the minimal requirements and has the recommended requirements. The recommended requirements seem to be more geared towards a lot of cameras.

I did a little research on hikvision and they offer a large range of cameras! Do either of you have exterior cameras and would be willing to share which ones you are using?

• Like 1

I use the windows VM as my main workstation, so I have 4 cores and 8 gb of ram assigned.

As far as the cams, I have a DS-2CD3132 outside, but it looks like it's no longer available. I also have a rebranded hikvision doorbell cam

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077KW2T1H/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Both cams have performed well and served the purpose. Blue iris is also well worth it and has a convenient mobile app.

• Like 1
I use the windows VM as my main workstation, so I have 4 cores and 8 gb of ram assigned.

As far as the cams, I have a DS-2CD3132 outside, but it looks like it's no longer available. I also have a rebranded hikvision doorbell cam
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077KW2T1H/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Both cams have performed well and served the purpose. Blue iris is also well worth it and has a convenient mobile app.

Thanks for sharing! Do you have blue iris saving the videos to a mapped unRAID network drive on your windows VM?

I was just wondering if in doing so you have noticed any delays or transfer speed issues?

I use a Milesight PTZ camera (C2961S) on an old i3 desktop running Windows 10, this saves to a Nas share on unraid.  I had a lot of issues trying to get the system to detect the camera under unraid, running on a VM.  

Eventually gave up and stuck it on a desktop.  Not tried any other software except Milesight VMS Pro, mostly because I need the PTV options, but the software doesn’t feel very user friendly, I think it’s aimed at a more professional market.

if it helps I don’t notice and network issues (1gb), but the camera has a 100mb link only.