command line file moving

I created a user script that invokes a "mv" command in the command line to move files from a share with a "use cache: yes" preference to a share with "use cache: no"  preference.

The mv command syntax is this:  

mv /mnt/user/shareUsingCache/folder/* /mnt/user/shareNotUsingCache/folder/

I thought using the /mnt/user would allow the software to place the files in their correct location based on the share rules (use cache:no).  However, after the move, the files were on the cache drive.  I thought the "mover" would fix this, but after the move they are still on the cache.

As a temporary fix, I have changed the setting on the destination share to "use cache:yes" so now the mover should move them off the next time it runs.  I would like to know what I am doing wrong, and a way to move these files via a command line script that will honor the share preferences.

Thanks.

When moving between paths that are at the same mount (/mnt/user) linux simply renames them so the directories are changed on the same disk instead of copying to the destination disk and then deleting from the source disk. That explains why the files were still on cache after the mv.

And because the mv resulted in them now being in a cache-no user share, mover won't touch them, since it only moves cache-yes shares from cache to array, and cache-prefer share from array to cache.

Also it might be worth noting that "honoring" user share settings only applies to writing of new files. unRAID never automatically does anything to files that have already been written except as the result of the already explained actions of the mover.

You would have to copy from source user share to destination user share to get it to honor the (write) settings of the destination user share, then delete them from the source user share.

And since you are working at this level, you should also be aware that you must never mix disks and user shares when moving/copying since that can result in data loss when it tries to overwrite the file at the same physical disk location it is trying to copy it from. Linux doesn't know that /mnt/user/somepath might actually be /mnt/disk1/somepath, for example.

When moving between paths that are at the same mount (/mnt/user) linux simply renames them so the directories are changed on the same disk instead of copying to the destination disk and then deleting from the source disk. That explains why the files were still on cache after the mv. 

And because the mv resulted in them now being in a cache-no user share, mover won't touch them, since it only moves cache-yes shares from cache to array, and cache-prefer share from array to cache.

Makes sense.

Also it might be worth noting that "honoring" user share settings only applies to writing of new files. unRAID never automatically does anything to files that have already been written except as the result of the already explained actions of the mover.

You would have to copy from source user share to destination user share to get it to honor the (write) settings of the destination user share, then delete them from the source user share.

So the "mv" command doesn't write the files to the disk (in the sense that you are describing), that occurred when they were placed in the original share?

But a "cp" command would cause a write action on the share, "honoring" the preferences, correct?

And since you are working at this level, you should also be aware that you must never mix disks and user shares when moving/copying since that can result in data loss when it tries to overwrite the file at the same physical disk location it is trying to copy it from. Linux doesn't know that /mnt/user/somepath might actually be /mnt/disk1/somepath, for example.

My /mnt/user in both source and destination is the safe and correct way to do this task, then, right?

Thanks for all the info.  It is very helpful!

Since I get a warning from the "fix common problems" plugin about files on the cache disk in a share that has "use cache:no" wouldn't it make sense for the mover to move files from "use cache:no" shares to the array?   Would it be harmful for the mover to do this?

Ok, now I need help fixing this problem.  

The data is in the correct share, but orphaned, and won't be moved. 

Is it safe to move the files disk share to disk share?  So I copy from the correct share on the cache drive to the correct share on one of the array drives?

Then I can delete the orphaned directory on the cache drive, right?

That seems like my only option.

Edited by lewispm
2 hours ago, lewispm said:

Ok, now I need help fixing this problem.  

The data is in the correct share, but orphaned, and won't be moved. 

Is it safe to move the files disk share to disk share?  So I copy from the correct share on the cache drive to the correct share on one of the array drives?

Then I can delete the orphaned directory on the cache drive, right?

That seems like my only option.

It is safe to do this.    However it might be easier to temporarily set the orphaned share to Use Cache=Yes and then run mover which will achieve the same effect.   When mover completes the move you can set the share back to setting you want.

7 hours ago, itimpi said:

It is safe to do this.    However it might be easier to temporarily set the orphaned share to Use Cache=Yes and then run mover which will achieve the same effect.   When mover completes the move you can set the share back to setting you want.

That was my plan, but a reply above says mover won't do this move.  And I can confirm this, as I already set cache =yes and run the mover,and it's still orphaned

2 hours ago, lewispm said:

That was my plan, but a reply above says mover won't do this move.  And I can confirm this, as I already set cache =yes and run the mover,and it's still orphaned

I have frequently done this without problems!  I also see no reply that suggests this would not work (since despite its name mover does not use the ‘mv’ command to move files).  If it not working this suggests some other issue is coming into play.   It might be worth activating mover logging and trying again to see if useful messages saying why it is not working appear in the syslog.

Edited by itimpi
44 minutes ago, itimpi said:

I have frequently done this without problems!  I also see no reply that suggests this would not work (since despite its name mover does not use the ‘mv’ command to move files).  If it not working this suggests some other issue is coming into play.   It might be worth activating mover logging and trying again to see if useful messages saying why it is not working appear in the syslog.

You are right, it worked.  Now I switched it back to use cache:no.

Thanks, I misunderstood a reply earlier.