Recommended x399 Boards

I am investigating updating my current dual CPU e5-2670 server to a ThreadRipper 2950X. Single core performance looks to be far superior on the TR 2950x over the 2670. Plus ill get more modern storage options.

Use Case:

1. Windows VM for Blue Iris Server. Currently 3 core 6 thread, 8 gigs of ram

2. Windows VM for home automation server. Currently 2 core 4 thread, 4 gigs of ram

3. Windows VM, Home theater 1. GTX 1060 passed through. 3 core 6 thread. Some medium gaming and home theater via Plex

4. Windows VM, home theater 2. GTX 1060 passed through. 3 core 6 thread. Some medium gaming and home theater via Plex

5. pfSense with a 4 port NIC passed through. 300/20 connection

Currently 9 data disks + 1 parity + 1 cache + 2 unassigned devices SSD's for VM storage and appdata + 1 data drive(WD purple) passed direct to blue iris server

Dockers: Plex, sab, sonarr, radarr.

1x IBM Serveraid M1015

I have a few questions:

1. Anyone else looking to use this processor? Thoughts on it?

2. Recommended board for the setup. I am not seeing any good boards with extensive PCIe slows. 4x 16 slots and a couple x8 or so....

3. TR1 CPU's and boards are stable now, when disabling Cstates?

19 hours ago, NotYetRated said:

1. Anyone else looking to use this processor? Thoughts on it?

Check out testdasi's recent build he just got a second-gen TR, so he might have some details you're looking for.

2. Recommended board for the setup. I am not seeing any good boards with extensive PCIe slows. 4x 16 slots and a couple x8 or so....

I've been having pretty good luck with my board, PRIME X399-A, check out the URL in my signature for build details -- I've tried to highlight my experiences with the board/system.

3. TR1 CPU's and boards are stable now, when disabling Cstates?

I haven't had to touch C-states with PRIME-X399-A board, no issues. 

• 5 months later...