Yay Thunderstorms

I had a power outage last night in a thunderstorm.  Since then my unraid server post and then checks the HBA card and then nothing, it goes blank. nothing starts and can't access the server. Could my issue be that the usb flash drive has gone bad?  The system is on a surge strip but it's the only thing I can think of as to why nothing after post and hba drive check.

Thanks for any help,

9 minutes ago, nudelta said:

Could my issue be that the usb flash drive has gone bad?

You can test that theory by inserting the USB flash drive into a Windows computer and seeing if it is recognized and if you can see the correct contents.

Also, you could run a chkdsk on it to fix any minor corruption that may have occurred.

If it is dead, hopefully, you have a backup of the flash content.

Now comes the obligatory statement about having your server connected to a UPS and not just a surge protector power strip 😀

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, nudelta said:

Yes I just entered bios, and found somehow it removed the usb from my boot up devices.  However bios shut down on me and went blank.  I am continuing to try.

Personally I would try (based on your statement of the system shutting down in BIOS) to get it to POST, and if that works run memtest on it.  If you can live without it for a bit, I'd run memtest on it for 12-24 hours, for a stability testing on the main board.  Also if you have access to a Power-supply tester (something like this) or another PSU to swap out with for testing, it wouldn't be a bad idea to check that too. 

• Upvote 2

Hoopster and JCloud,

Thank you two so much for the assistance this evening. 

Diagnosis is that the storm:

1.) It did reset my bios and wasn't showing the USB to boot from = Fixed.

2.) Apparently, for the two rear escape fans this was the last straw (being old and dusty) they quit and were not working high temps. = Fixed.

3.) The old video card I put in this machine, the fan also stopped working on it there for that's when the screen would go blank when i was trying to edit the bios = Fixed

Fun Night, I really need to build a new rig and use this one as a backup. Bring on the 24 bay Norco chassis!

Again Thank you two very much for troubleshooting this with me. 

This issue is RESOLVED!!

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, nudelta said:

Hoopster and JCloud,

Thank you two so much for the assistance this evening. 

Diagnosis is that the storm:

1.) It did reset my bios and wasn't showing the USB to boot from = Fixed.

2.) Apparently, for the two rear escape fans this was the last straw (being old and dusty) they quit and were not working high temps. = Fixed.

3.) The old video card I put in this machine, the fan also stopped working on it there for that's when the screen would go blank when i was trying to edit the bios = Fixed

Fun Night, I really need to build a new rig and use this one as a backup. Bring on the 24 bay Norco chassis!

Again Thank you two very much for troubleshooting this with me. 

This issue is RESOLVED!!

Glad to hear it was a relatively simple fix and not something like a bad PSU, RAM or motherboard.  It would have cost a lot more time and money to troubleshoot and resolve those issues.

• Upvote 1