New disk not recognized

Marino

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Disk to Disk. One on the Intel Controller and one in an USB 3 Dock as I used all the time.

At first I copied Data from the first slot in this Dock to the first 12TB. Now it is the second Disk in the Slot which copies to the second 12TB.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention that the this is only in this set. The first copy was constant.

Edited by Marino

Yes:

1TB WD Green on Slot 1 of the USB 3 dock > Intern 12TB HGST #1 - worked without pauses

1,5TB Samsung on Slot 2 of the USB 3 dock > Intern 12TB HGST #2 - with pauses

I know that it'll be slower, but I wanted to keep the parity valid. And this is the way to go, because the other server is offline, waiting for the 2x 4TB WD red, which I has to copy after this to small drives.

And another strange thing. The disk I not copy at the moment shows some strange thing. The temperature is shown yellow. But it is at 45°C and it is not written on in hours. Suddenly there is a value at maximum temperature of 53°C. But the disk has never reached that temperature. And it is showing up now without change on something?

EDIT:

My USB Dock has 2 Slots.

I started a extended SMART-Test as it seems to not effect the speed.

Edited by Marino
13 minutes ago, Marino said:

And another strange thing. The disk I not copy at the moment shows some strange thing. The temperature is shown yellow. But it is at 45°C and it is not written on in hours. Suddenly there is a value at maximum temperature of 53°C. But the disk has never reached that temperature. And it is showing up now without change on something? 

You mean disk on USB dock ? Not disk under Intel controller.

One of my unRAID previous running with a 5-slot USB dock no such problem. No matter temperature or "pause" issue. Just little bit hot and all dock disks will wakeup once have any disk activity.

Edited by Benson

No, the 12TB disks are all installed in the case just behind a 140mm fan. So this blows through the disks and after that it is blown upwards from an 140mm fan which is installed at the bottom of the case. 

And one of the 12TB disks is showing the temperature.

This is my dock, then you can understand what I meant.

What do you meant with a little bit hot in your case?

EDIT: Picture

And the pauses are still exists but on the other 12TB data drive not that what showing this temps.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-09-08 um 23.20.15.png

The second picture shows my actual config. I am copying from disk3 to disk6 and the temperature picture is from disk5

Bildschirmfoto 2018-09-08 um 23.21.42.png

Edited by Marino
13 minutes ago, Benson said:

But it is at 45°C and it is not written on in hours. Suddenly there is a value at maximum temperature of 53°C. But the disk has never reached that temperature.

The disk at the time you grabbed the picture IS at 45C according to its own SMART report  (personally, this is hotter than I like).  And it HAS hit 53C.  The yellow triangle's threshold for temperature is configurable via disk settings (disk temperature threshold), or individually per disk.

20 minutes ago, Marino said:

What do you meant with a little bit hot in your case?

I mean the disk in USB dock ( actually was an enclosure with FAN )

FYR, my previous tower case also blowing with 14cm fan, but they running in ~1000rpm. If room temp 27c, then loading disk may got 53c.

Edited by Benson

But while preclearing there was no temperature like this. Why is it shown now when the drive reached no temperatur greater than 45°C for hours?

I am not feeling me comfortly either. But in my living room are 25°C, what is not cold, but normal for late summer and this disk is only spinning because of reconstruct write and has a few fans which transport the heat away of it. So, cooling it under 45°C seems to be only possible with AC.

Edited by Marino

Today I could test to write data from intern disk to intern, without the usb dock.

Dhe first half is the copy of one 16gb file to the one hgst and the next half is the copy to the other hgst disk. So it is with both of them.

But, when I hear the writing head and see in this diagramm that there is much going on, the speed in krusader is about 20-25MB/s (I counted 3-4 seconds for 0,1gb). When this pause is happens (in diagram and with writing head quit) it copys 0,1gb in under a second. Thats confusing me a little.

And as I wrote yersterday, I started an extended SMART test. All disks are at 90%, expect of one, which was not used since start and is only at 30%. I started the test about 9 hours ago or so. So it would take 30 hours in these disk. The other disks are needing about 10 hours, which I was expecting.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-09-09 um 08.12.32.png

This is copying on more disks. One lagre File from disk1 to disk5 and one large file from disk2 to disk6. MC shows on one of them about 10-20MB/s and the other (first one) 40-50MB/s.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-09-09 um 08.38.19.png

Here on the right I copy a large file from an unattached device which is connected on SATA. But it is only a 2,5", so slower speeds are expected. But not this pause in it :(

I just want to test to copy from outside the array into the array.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-09-09 um 08.50.30.png

Edited by Marino

For slow / pause issue with array member to member copy , it should be normal due to this kind operation and slow disk add to array. If member busy on self extend test, then worst speed also expect.

For temperature raise much during copy, it should because 12TB disk sit between 2 working disk, as all temperature raise a lot so affect each other.

I think all above was normal expect. ( or you may set default write method and check which got better result for different situation )

Edited by Benson

Problem after Problem. I was done with copying data. Then I want to stop the the array. This stucked for hours. So I had to shutdown the PC.  Now, It stucks at Bootlogo. Nothing helps. No device but a keyboard on USB and the Unraid-Stick. New Battery installed. Nothings helps.

Why do I get one problem after another? That s*****!

Changed the cable again to a new one, still no boot.

Changed it to another port, where a 4TB was installed and was working, still no boot. 

HGST Drive on Mainboards Intel SATA won't work, while 2 other (same drives) work on it and it worked before. 

HGST Drive in USB-Dock works.

I don't know where to begin with troubleshooting.

Edited by Marino