New disk not recognized

Marino

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When the disk is connected to the Gigabyte Onboard SATA (Intel) in either way. On slot 2 where it belongs, on Slot 1 instead of Parity or on any other slot it will freeze. Even if I take a new SATA-Cable this will not work and it freezes on boot-logo (Gigabyte) without any chance to enter BIOS. I am NOT using the marvell controller. Only the Intel one, because Marvell don't regognize the disk in either way. And this was not the first delivered disk which was not regognized (on marvell) why I opened this thread. This was the parity disk which is running fine since then on Intel-SATA.

When I took it away from internal SATA and put it in the USB-Dock via USB-3 it boots and everything is okay. The drive is recognized, I can run SMART, which I did and it returns no error. And the Array work.

This drive which could not run on Intel-SATA, was running on Intel-SATA for 2 days or so and was working.

But I cannot have it in the USB-Dock all time. A huge Case with 2 12TB (1 data, one parity) installed, a little 2,5" Cache SSD and on top of the case the USB-dock with the second of two 12TB Data disks, because it won't run on the intern SATA-Controller.

Edited by Marino

I suggest that. But why this happens suddenly to one disk, which was working before and why not to the other (same) disks? Same Firmware and Same Fabrication Date. 

At first Marvell is not working and now Intel? And not on every disk but sporadic on one disk which was working? Very strange.

The now parity drive was the first I got delivered of the three. This was not recognized, because of the Marvell-Controller on the board. The old disks were using all of the ports of the Intel-Controller. In the USB-Dock it was working every time. But because the disk has no P3 and was spinning there were no problem with power (3.3V on Pin3).

Then I was connecting it to the Intel-Controller and the disk was working instantly. I assigned it to the array and as the other two were delivered (now the 2  12TB data disks and the one which isn't working anymore on Intel). I installed them in USB in precleared them. After that they got installed on Intel-SATA (Onboard), becuase Marvell won't work. Same as the first Drive, they just worked on Intel. Now after restart one disk of them is not working anymore.

So the main problem at the beginning was that Marvell was not working with the disks. That's why I don't use this for the disks.

Edited by Marino

Maybe you're right. The Marvell Controller seems to work for a few users with all disks but one or it is working never. Nearly the same problem could cause this. Some drives are working some not, even if they worked before. At least it is possible.

I think I should look for a SATA/SAS-Controller. My x16 PCIe is free and I've got a x8 and x4 PCIe to use. It is sad to habe 10 SATA-ports which are working properly. This was THE reason to buy this board :(

Anye recommendations on SATA oder SAS-Cads which I could use, preferably 4-8 Ports on x16 or x8 which are not limiting the disks in speed when using more than one and which is working natively with unraid. I never give up dreaming, that it could work perfectly. Btw. my back hurts... stupid window,

2 Server, defect cable, problems with police and because of that 2 Orders and long waiting for delivery, defect parity drive while parity swap, new drives are not recognized, not recognized anymore, the window. Now I could handle some luck in this situation ;)

Edited by Marino

As this forum always recommand, 9201 9211 9207 and many other band (chipset 2008 2308 3008).

Thay all native support 8 drive, even expand by SAS expander between HBA for connect more drive, it still have enough bandwidth.

I have 4 those controller and expander, no any problem. (haven't any 4Kn disk, but not hear any major issue)

Edited by Benson