Double Check My New Build List?

interwebtech

The current server is getting long in the tooth so I am gathering parts for a new build. Anyone see any problems with this combo? LSI HBA & drives will be migrated from the current box. Current SSD cache pool will be replaced with NVMEs via the PCI adapters.

Rosewill 4U Server Chassis with 15 bays & 7 Fans Pre-Installed (RSV-L4500)
EVGA Supernova 850 G3, 80 Plus Gold 850W, Fully Modular, Eco Mode with New HDB Fan
ASRock Rack Motherboard EP2C612 WS
2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v3 Six-Core Haswell Processor 2.4GHz 8.0GT/s 15MB LGA 2011-3 CPU, OEM
2x Intel Cooling Fan/Heatsink - Socket R LGA-2011 Compatible Processor Socket 
8x Crucial 8GB Single DDR4 2133 MT/s (PC4-2133) CL15 SR x4 ECC Registered DIMM CT8G4RFS4213 (64GB)

2x Samsung 970 EVO 1TB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-V7E1T0BW)
2x QNINE M.2 PCIe Adapter, M.2 NVME SSD to PCIe Card with Heat Sink

Edited by interwebtech
reflect change in RAM parts

This is very very similar to the one I am planning to build. I was gonna use the e5 2670's 2.8ghz, 20meg cache. 

What cooling solution do you plan on using? Do you have a pcpartspicker list you could post?

Why the 612 and not the 612/4ld16? Does the extra PCI slot mean that much? Theres also a 100$ rebate on the d16. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/  my list  ***EDIT, hes got the ddr4 version of basically the same board im chosing****

The only thing that stands out, is the mobo. Its got a 64gb max of ram, and your going to be maxing it... ?Will you ever need more? If so, spend 10$ (at the time of writing this) and get the mobo with 16 ram slots instead of 8   See above edit. 

Edited by tbonedude420
  • 3 weeks later...

Follow up on how it went. I was offline almost 3 weeks due to 1st mobo mysteriously failing. I also took that opportunity to switch to a Norco case. The single most noticeable improvement is the speed of the 1TB NVMe cache pool. Well besides the industrial fan noise level.

StarTech 12U Adjustable Depth Open Frame 4 Post Server Rack 

StarTech 1U Adjustable Mounting Depth Vented Rack Mount Shelf
Norco RPC-4224 4U Rack Mount 24x Hot-Swappable SATA/SAS 6G Drive Bays
EVGA Supernova 850 G3
ASRockRack - EP2C612 WS
2x Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-2620 v3 @ 2.40GHz

2x Intel Cooling Fan/Heatsink - Socket R LGA-2011
8x Crucial 8GB PC4-2133 DDR4 ECC (64 GB)

2x Samsung 970 EVO 1TB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD using 2x QNINE M.2 PCIe Adapters

LSI Logic LSI00244 SAS 9201-16i 16Port 6Gb/s SAS/SATA Controller Card
transferred over dual 8TB parity plus 11 array disks for 68TB (15.5TB free)

unraid_2018.jpg

Edited by interwebtech
reflect change in RAM parts
On 9/28/2018 at 2:36 AM, Benson said:

2 HBA, or SASexpander for full 24 bay ?

Right now, the one HBA (LSI 9201-16i) covers all the drives I have with 4 unoccupied bays ready to fill. I added Reverse breakout cable from four of the mobo SATA connections to cover the rest of the unoccupied bays. Well, the rest meaning everything else but the bottom backplane whose Molex connector I busted during the install. I emailed Norco but still haven't heard back from them. I have 7 empty drive bays ready to go so no biggies right now. For now, I have a 20 bay server. :P

Edited by interwebtech