Requesting Help: "Warnings Found: Unable to write to Docker Image file"

Hello.

Running Unraid 6.5.3, I received the following error msg from the Fix Common Problems utility: "Unable to write to Docker Image - Docker Image either full or corrupted." When investigating the Docker setting tab, I see the following: 

Label: none  uuid: 1ddda053-7119-48ab-adf3-c5f3956e966c
	Total devices 1 FS bytes used 6.27GiB
	devid    1 size 25.00GiB used 10.02GiB path /dev/loop2

I don't know if it's related, but in Fix Common Problems I also have a warning that my /var/logs are filling up (68% right now) and the system has only been up for less than a week.

I've attached the diagnostic zip file. As someone new to Unraid (I muddle through with online walkthroughs, forum posts and videos predominantly) I'm a bit unclear as to what the root of the problem(s) might be here. Any help would be super appreciated. Thanks very much,

valhalla-diagnostics-20180902-0835.zip

Your logs are filling up because of the corrupt docker image.

Delete and recreate your docker image. Then you can go to Apps - Previous Apps and it will let you reinstall your dockers exactly as before with their previous settings.

I see you have your docker image set to 25G. That is not obviously excessive but it does make me wonder if you have been increasing it to try to fix some other problem.

Have you read the Docker FAQ?

If you are having problems with docker it might be a good idea to just install one at a time and troubleshoot it before installing another.

Thank you trurl. A couple questions:

• If I understand correctly, you mean that I should delete the entire docker image (which in turn will delete all dockers applications as well)?
  • In doing so, all currently installed docker applications will then appear as previously installed in the Apps - Previous Apps section (somewhat obviously, in checking that area now I don't see any of my current applications listed)?
  • Docker image settings are stored outside of the image / apps themselves, and won't require any configuration again?

Finally, to your question re: the docker image size being 25GB -- when I first configured Docker in Unraid, I followed the video tutorial provided by SpaceInvader One on Youtube. In that, he adjusted the Docker image to 25GB, and I followed suit. Is there any issue / concern in my having done so?

I have been doing my best to educate myself on Unraid and Docker specifically. Up to this week, I've had a resoundingly successful time installing and configuring docker applications, and so far hadn't run into any issues until these errors popped up this week. To clarify, I have been trying to roll my own docker application and install it (a bit of home-automation / Alexa-bridging-goodness) which failed to install correctly and I have since removed the Docker app... but perhaps it was the root cause?

Thanks again for stepping in to provide some context and direction for how I can resolve these issues. Cheers.

Edited by bigbadblo
9 hours ago, bigbadblo said:
  • If I understand correctly, you mean that I should delete the entire docker image (which in turn will delete all dockers applications as well)?
  • In doing so, all currently installed docker applications will then appear as previously installed in the Apps - Previous Apps section (somewhat obviously, in checking that area now I don't see any of my current applications listed)?
  • Docker image settings are stored outside of the image / apps themselves, and won't require any configuration again?

Yes, Yes, and Yes

• 3 months later...

I just had the same issue. I stopped the docker, changed the docket storage size from 20GB to 40GB and restarted it.
Everything worked at that point and the error is gone.

Is there any way to find out what actually caused this problem?
Is there a way to find out what is taking up all the storage?

When check the container size now it shows that there should not have been a space problem.
image.png.6b3a0bf0c5a91a6d3ba6a9a55cd7992c.png

I most recently installed the MQTT and Home Assistant dockers around three weeks ago.