[Solved] Can't connect to Internet

xman111

Hey guys, just got Unraid up and running but it doesn't connect to the internet.

I am running PFsense but without any plugins so i don't know if that complicates things.  If i go to terminal, i can ping 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.  I try to paste the community app link into plugins and it says network failure.  

I am thinking it is a DNS thing as I can ping when i use numbers.   Any help would be so much appreciated, i am now at a stand still.

network settings.jpg

Edited by xman111
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Squid said:

Is your gateway set correctly?  Alternatively, github could be blocked from your physical location (Iran / China maybe).  You can always forgo pfSense as a test and see how things work without that complication and then work backwards.

Hey Squid, i am in Vancouver, Canada, should be no blocking.  My gateway is pointing to pfsense 192.168.10.1.   I also added a screenshot of my network settings

Edited by xman111

this is what was posted in another thread, can you help Squid? 

There's no way other than:

* to put the route commands inside go file

* use the user scripts plugin and add a script with the route commands to run on array startup

FWIW the route command you want is like

/sbin/ip route a 192.168.3.0/24 via 192.168.2.4
On 9/4/2018 at 1:45 AM, xman111 said:

hey guys, got this working.  The only way it would work was by adding a route.  The only problem is upon reboot, this is gone.  Anyway to make this stick when rebooting? 

routes.png

This rule should not be necessary at all.

Can you describe / diagram your network setup? Its kinda weird that you need to talk to the gateway to reach your LAN subnet.

thanks so much guys for even trying to help me.  It is very frustrating.   I just bought a i5-8500, z370 motherboard, and LSI serial card all for unraid, just want to get this working. 

Here is a bit of an older diagram of my network.   Everything was installed new when we built our house a year ago.  It is a little complicated but works awesome. 

Not sure if it is a pfsense issue or unraid as all my other machines work great.

network setup.jpg

1 last thing while I am thinking about it.  Sometimes when i try to connect to the webgui it says connection denied but if i go on my laptop on a different subnet it can connect.  My home computer and server are both connected right beside each other on a Cisco switch in my bedroom, server is 192.168.10.100 and my PC is 192.168.10.11.  From what i understand, since they are on the same subnet, pfsense shouldn't even be involved. 

right now I am trying to connect to unraid from my computer right beside it, on the same subnet and Cisco switch and get this.  But i hop on my laptop on my wireless subnet at 192.168.20.15 and it connects right away. 

Hope there is a network guru here :)

connection refused.png

Edited by xman111

I see your using nvguru guide, so do I.

So on your main page you have the localhost as a DNS server and the airvpn dns. So unless your forcing all of your Lan traffic thru air it doesn't know where to go.

The setup is set to block all DNS unless it comes from the pfsense box so putting Google's DNS wouldn't work.

I have under general an openic dns and cloudflare. My vpn subnet uses air's dns.

However my server in not in the land subnet but a management vlan.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, xman111 said:

right now I am trying to connect to unraid from my computer right beside it, on the same subnet and get this.  But i hop on my laptop on wireless at 192.168.20.15 and it connects right away. 

Hope there is a network guru here :)

connection refused.png

This definitely means you have an issue with how the SG300-28 is working with the LAN / vs VLANs

are the ports tagged properly? is the native VLAN, the LAN? run this from your desktop and from unRAID. (use unRAID ip / desktop ip respectively)

ping -n 20 192.168.10.x

tracert 192.168.10.x

tracert 8.8.8.8

tracert 192.168.20.15

ken-ji,

i was a little confused on the exact commands you want me to do.  sorry, i am pretty good with networking but had a little help setting it all up.

also these two computers (desktop and server) are attached to a SG300-10 in my bedroom.  Port 10 is a trunk port that brings in all my Vlans into my room so i can assign each port to whatever vlan i want.  All the ports are tagged VLAN 10 untaged (which is my lan network) except one, which is tagged 40 which is my VPN, so if i want to connect to AirVPN, i just plug the computer into port 2 instead of port 1.

Edited by xman111
24 minutes ago, ijuarez said:

I see your using nvguru guide, so do I.

So on your main page you have the localhost as a DNS server and the airvpn dns. So unless your forcing all of your Lan traffic thru air it doesn't know where to go.

The setup is set to block all DNS unless it comes from the pfsense box so putting Google's DNS wouldn't work.

I have under general an openic dns and cloudflare. My vpn subnet uses air's dns.

However my server in not in the land subnet but a management vlan.

yes I used that guide.  As for the DNS  under >services >dhcp server >lan  I enter my dns in there, i think it is basically an override..  I use GetFlix which is a monthly service that gets my kids US Netflix from Canada.  It seems to work because any computer i plug into the lan, i can go onto GetFlix's website and it verifies you are using their DNS so you can use their unblocking services.

It's probably something stupid.  Would like to try ken-ji's stuff but was a little confused. 

I have been working on this all week.  I have all my computer parts on order and still have to figure out how to run Windows VM to record all my cameras with Blue Iris and get plex going for all my media.

Windows is a hell of a lot easier.

Edited by xman111

yes I used that guide.  As for the DNS  under >services >dhcp server >lan  I enter my dns in there, i think it is basically an override..  I use GetFlix which is a monthly service that gets my kids US Netflix from Canada.  It seems to work because any computer i plug into the lan, i can go onto GetFlix's website and it verifies you are using their DNS so you can use their unblocking services.

It's probably something stupid.  Would like to try ken-ji's stuff but was a little confused. 

I have been working on this all week.  I have all my computer parts on order and still have to figure out how to run Windows VM to record all my cameras with Blue Iris and get plex going for all my media.

Windows is a hell of a lot easier.
Ok, so try to ping your unraid from pfsense

Diagnostics-ping

See if it replies

As far as ken-ji request your need to login into to your unraid via ssh or terminal via the webgui

• xman111 changed the title to [Solved] Can't connect to Internet