[Solved] Can't connect to Internet

xman111

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is how my network.cfg file looks like (it is on your USB device under folder /config)

# Generated settings:
IFNAME[0]="br0"
BONDNAME[0]="bond0"
BONDING_MIIMON[0]="100"
BRNAME[0]="br0"
BRSTP[0]="no"
BRFD[0]="0"
BONDING_MODE[0]="4"
BONDNICS[0]="eth0 eth1 eth2 eth3"
BRNICS[0]="bond0"
DESCRIPTION[0]="unRAID management"
PROTOCOL[0]="ipv4"
USE_DHCP[0]="yes"
DHCP_KEEPRESOLV="yes"
DNS_SERVER1="8.8.8.8"
DNS_SERVER2="8.8.4.4"

1 minute ago, xman111 said:

hey, in pfsense, under the general settings, that 10.4 number was there.  I deleted it and now unraid takes the DNS number that i put in there. the only problem is i may have broken my VPN settings on my VPN network, i won't know until i can test it. 

But Unraid should not take the pfsense setting when "static" is configured. It would simply ignore that. Can you show me your network.cfg file?

ya it broke my DNS for my VPN network but maybe I can find a workaround.  there must be another way.   I can't thank you enough for figuring this out for me..  I have been driving my wife and kids nuts.  hopefully this will fix the webgui issue as well.  :)

for sure i will grab show the file..  that would be even better.

Edited by xman111

And the same question for your cameras network (192.168.50.0). Is it a separate VLAN on your switch?

The reason I ask is if your pfsense router is set up as DHCP server for all the different networks, these networks must be isolated from each other, otherwise a device "sees" multiple DHCP servers.

Edited by bonienl

here it is again.. i just switched Unraid back to automatically instead of static.  here is with the static ip set.

# Generated settings:
IFNAME[0]="br0"
BRNAME[0]="br0"
BRSTP[0]="no"
BRFD[0]="0"
BRNICS[0]="eth0"
PROTOCOL[0]="ipv4"
USE_DHCP[0]="yes"
DHCP_KEEPRESOLV="yes"
DNS_SERVER1="8.8.8.8"
DNS_SERVER2="8.8.4.4"
USE_DHCP6[0]="yes"
DHCP6_KEEPRESOLV="no"
SYSNICS="1"

here is a picture of my pfsense general settings.  i deleted the 10.4.0.1 out of the general DNS setting and now Unraid works but my VPN doesn't.  And yes, all the VLANS are separate in pfsense and the switches.   I tried putting back the 10.4.0.1 in the DNS setting and dropping down the list and picking AirVPN Wan but that didn't work.  I am stoked though at least I know now where the problem was.. i was about ready to give up on unraid and throw the computer out the window.

pfsense 4.png

general2.png

Edited by xman111

I am not familiar with pfsense, but like you I have multiple networks separated by VLAN in my home environment.

On my router/firewall I need to set up DNS (and DHCP) for each specific network (VLAN).

I expect something similar on pfsense, but the screen you show looks like a general settings page. Not the location which I expected.

i will play around and find a work around.  right now to me, unraid is more important than my VPN as i have all my new computer stuff coming in the next couple days.   Thanks again for staying up and working through this with me, i would have NEVER been able to figure that out.  you're a rock star!!

You might also want to try turning off DHCP (set IPv4 address assignment to Static) and fill in the blanks.

image.png.dfa453436d87fc2e0ec1f2adfcadaa32.png

And like @bonienl thinks, you probably have VLANs bridged together thanks to the CISCO switches. If pfsense has a log for the DHCP requests, you will see the unRAID MAC address (as well as other devices) on all the other VLANs.

5 hours ago, xman111 said:

here is a picture of my pfsense general settings.  i deleted the 10.4.0.1 out of the general DNS setting and now Unraid works but my VPN doesn't.  And yes, all the VLANS are separate in pfsense and the switches.   I tried putting back the 10.4.0.1 in the DNS setting and dropping down the list and picking AirVPN Wan but that didn't work.  I am stoked though at least I know now where the problem was.. i was about ready to give up on unraid and throw the computer out the window.

pfsense 4.png

general2.png

I looked up getflix and their dns servers, one screenshoot you had of the unraid config showed and addy of 55.blah blah for dns that is getflixs'

So since you are using DHCP and pfSense is handing out the ip you need to look at Services-DHCP Server- then click on the vlan that is 192.168.10.0. See mine called vlan10 under dns i have no servers, because im letting my gateway address also be my dns server for that vlan.

my assumption is that under you setup you have a DNS address of getflix.

Next i see you are using air vpn (the best VPN out there. just saying) let me ask you again are you forcing all of your traffic thru the vpn?

i ask because in your above screenshot you have one of airvpns dns addresses and unless  all of your traffic is going thru the vpn tunnel you it will not know were to go. My general setup also below in the image. my setup only has vlan20 using the vpn everything is using wan.

and last i hate to ask but are your cisco switches setup with vlans?

vlan10.PNG

pfgenset.PNG

pfinterdis.PNG

Ijuarez,  sorry buddy, i didn't answer your questions.   oh and yes AirVPN is the best :)

VLAN 10 is my management lan as well.    I am not forcing all the traffic through the VPN, only if it is connected to VLAN 40 which is AirVPN LAN or VLAN 60 which is a wireless version of AIRVPN.

I also have the 10 Network as an untagged network, i was told to set it up that way on the PFsense forum.  All my switches are setup using VLANS.  Here is a screen shot of the one in my bedroom.  See how port 10 is the trunk port that carries all my VLANs to my bedroom. Port 8 and 9 are for cameras.  Port 2 is if I want to connect to AIRVPN, and the rest are my regular LAN.

i don't think i used the exact same guide as you, i used the one from the AirVPN forum here:

https://airvpn.org/topic/17444-how-to-set-up-pfsense-23-for-airvpn/

BTW, it is so nice to always be able to reach the GUI now, so happy.

cisco vlan.png

• xman111 changed the title to [Solved] Can't connect to Internet