Cannot get full network speed over WAN

VLAN

Not sure exactly what would be causing this, but here is my situation long with what I've tried.

Copied over a 2GB test file via SMB and it works just fine. I get my full 1Gbps write speed.

Using rclone via a script or ssh into unraid and manually running it to copy a test file from google or any other location on the internet even using wget seems to top out at 8Mbps. Not sure what would be limiting WAN vs LAN. Not sure if anyone has seen this before or not. Still looking around in settings, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

8 would be slow even for writes to the parity array, but just want to clarify something to make sure we aren't comparing apples to oranges.

Are you sure your SMB test is writing to the same location as your WAN test? For example, a cached user share might write to SSD while a write directly to a disk in the parity array would be noticeably slower.

8 minutes ago, trurl said:

8 would be slow even for writes to the parity array, but just want to clarify something to make sure we aren't comparing apples to oranges.

Are you sure your SMB test is writing to the same location as your WAN test? For example, a cached user share might write to SSD while a write directly to a disk in the parity array would be noticeably slower.

Hm to be honest I don't think so. Still kinda getting familiar with unRaid as a whole. I've create a share for backing up google to my server and wanted rclone to sync it like once a day or so. I have a 128GB SSD for the cache and 9x8TB WD Reds with 2x8TB Reds as parity drives.

2 hours ago, trurl said:

You need to give us more details about your tests but I guess you don't know what details are important.

Are the SMB test and the WAN test both writing to that share you say you created?

How exactly are you doing the wget? I assume the command line. What is the exact command?

I apoligize.

It seems the issue has resolved itself? Hm not sure what the deal was. Sorry for taking up your time.

Wanted to add that I've been fighting the same issue. In my case I'm syncing large files from Google Drive to the array. When doing so using the rclone plugin, rclone installed directly from rclone.org, or even in a vanilla Ubuntu Docker container, I can only get ~2MB/s download per transfer. Surprisingly if I setup an Ubuntu VM I'm able to fully saturate the 400Mbps downstream! Not sure if it's an issue with unRAID or with rclone, but I'd suspect the former given that in the full isolation of a VM it works fine.

brontostorus-diagnostics-20180906-1008.zip

Edited by jsclayton
Clarify downstream bandwidth