[v6.5.3] What are your average disk write speeds?

I'm new to unRAID and having just installed v6.5.3 to a newly built custom system. I would like to get an idea of how well my system is performing or if improvements can be made. My system feels slow, e.g. it takes a few seconds for plex to draw the home page, or a tv show with more than 6 seasons (Supernatural), which is why I am looking into this.  

So far I have SSH'ed into the server and performed the following tests (same commands just different targets):  

dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/disk{1..5}/test bs=64G count=20 oflag=dsync  

which returned ~48 MB/sec  

dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/user/isos/test bs=64G count=20 oflag=dsync  

which returned ~43MB/sec  

dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/cache/test bs=64G count=20 oflag=dsync  

which returned ~490MB/sec (Samsung SSD)  

I haven't tried the above when connected via NFS or SMB as I wanted to get an idea of what the local speed was / should be before introducing the overhead of a network share.  

If there are different tests that can be ran directly on the server I am open to trying them out for completeness.  

So...for anyone else that has performed similar actions what speeds are you getting? 

set the spin down delay to 'never' in settings/disk settings

If you turn on TW you'll get the full speed benefit.  If you want to be a bit more selective, have a look at the TW plugin that will turn TW on/off depending on how many drives are spun down e.g. I have 6 disks and I have TW on if 2 or less are spun down

• Like 1