Sanity check - New Build

tbonedude420

Hey there er'body!

Just wanted to get a sanity check over my 'new' build. Upgrading from my older gaming/workstation which was a i7 5820k with 32gb @ 3200. Board took a crap, and instead of just buying a new board (which I will probably anyway, and use for a different project) I wanted to take this opportunity and piece together a more 'enterprise-y' type build. While the 5820k is dead, i've got plex running from my current gaming machine, 6850k /w a 1060 6gb. 

Tidbits to add, my 5820k was my old gaming machine, and then my plex server. Currently I run a much older system for unraid, as it only really hosts my web related stuff, nginx, letsencrypt, ect. Its specs are an older i3 or i5 (2c4t, or 4c0t, not sure which) with 16gb @ 1600mhz. Drives are 4x4 500gb with double parity. I run 2 VM's, one arch one w7. Other services I host are pi-hole, youtube-dl server, nextcloud, unms, and a few more im probably missing. 

Other hardware have/laying around

4x gigabit quad intel adapter

amd r9 380 4gb (Dont think plex uses amd cards.. i could be wrong)

strix 1060 6gb (Plex uses this, but only 1 transcode via HW... stupid. )

lsi 9211-8i IR mode (Need help flashing IT mode, if anyone can assist with uefi, that would be awesome)

several samsung 850's, 860's, and a few 950's even all 2.5 inch

Raid is 6x6tb using toshiba x300's, very good performance per $ seemingly reliable.

The case if anyone cares is a rosewill 4u that fits normal atx parts

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056OUTBK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One final goal/side note, would be is there any dockers anyone knows of that handle wifi? In the past i've ran pfsense, and had issues with routing, so I ended up just hosting an AP via windows, which worked pretty reliably. Is there anyway I can do this with unraid?

Give me your 2 ¢

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zDw8P3

Dual xeon e5's 2670 (16c32t), with 32gb @ 1333

A few questions to ask..

Does unraid handle multi cpu's well?

My current unraid, can that just be removed, and slapped into this new build? Everything should 'just work' right? (I submitted my hardware profile via the gui, But I dont know how to link those details to this thread)

Does unraid have any issues with OOB networking? IE, dedicated kvm style port?

Does unraid handle multiple lans? I've got 4 on the new board, with 4 more via a quad port intel adapter pcie4x, can I utilize all these ports?

My network is fairly beefy, 1000/1000 fiber, with ubiquity edge router and edge switch. Looking to make use of the over gigabit locally, not externally. 

Edited by tbonedude420
Modifications, spelling, final goal