2 NICs bridge (SOLVED)

dadarara

I have supermicro board x9dai with 2 NICs.

one is automatically used  by unRaid .

the second one I never connected.  

I would like to be able to connect my laptop to this second NIC same as if I were to connect to the router.  

for this I presume I need to have a bridge between them. 

how can I do that please?

Edited by dadarara
38 minutes ago, dadarara said:

worked after a few reboots.

another Q if I may.   what would be the best MTU value speed wise ?   is it something I need to experiment and its my network specific ?

If your network is gigabit speed, it is best to leave MTU on its default size of 1500 bytes. No real advantages when making MTU bigger.

For 10 Gbps links it can give improvement to set the largest MTU size supported by all devices, usually 9000 bytes. To make this work properly your systems, router and switch all need to be configured to support so called jumbo frames. Pay attention because not every device does support jumbo frames or uses a different max size. If unsure leave MTU at default of 1500 bytes.

28 minutes ago, dadarara said:

what does the bellow mean ?

Because you have two links in the bridge on your system, it has automatically the "spanning tree" protocol enabled. This protocol discovers your network topology and prevents layer 2 loops from occuring (when such a loop should occur, it does overload your network and brings it to stand still).

The messages you see are expected.