upgrade / swap CPU

Heciruam

Hello everyone,

So I build a system about a year ago but since I added a lot of services, I keep running out of resources a lot of times.

I currently have a kaby lake i3 and want to just swap that out for an i7.

I was wondering what I need to do here in terms of unraid. Will I have to reinstall unRAID or can I just power down, switch the CPUs and than boot?

Thanks

Edited by Heciruam

Are you sure that the i3 is the bottleneck? Or is it maybe not enough RAM? Before you buy a new CPU provide the experts here with the diagnostics.

If you have to switch CPU:

No need to reinstall anything. Just power down the system and switch off. Now remove the current CPU and install new CPU. Check twice or more to be sure that everything is okay (i recently crashed the mainboard of my gaming rig (changed from Intel to AMD), first time in DIY experience in the past 30 years). Now power on the system and be happy.

Edited by hitman2158
just more explanation
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, hitman2158 said:

Are you sure that the i3 is the bottleneck? Or is it maybe not enough RAM? Before you buy a new CPU provide the experts here with the diagnostics.

The thing is I am idling at around 60-70% CPU usage with all dockers running. When I copy files over to the array, I max out to 100% and all Dockers become unresponsive/unreachable. I do only have 8gb of ram and unraid seems to just waste it but I never had that as a bottleneck. I also don't have any VMs running. I believe it's the CPU.

3 hours ago, uldise said:

what's a Motherboard model you have? do it supports i7?

The MB supports the i7 and even overclocking.

Thanks guys I will be looking for a used i7 then.

1 hour ago, hitman2158 said:

Where are you located?

Austria

43 minutes ago, uldise said:

this is very weird.. login to your console, type htop, and tell us which process uses all cpu..  

I'm a little out of my element here. I usually check the utilization over the dashboard page:

428475929_Screenshot(132).png.064153d4a5c709f2a0a2a9089d474b2b.png

That seems to be unreliable.

This is what the htop showed. So I'm guessing the CPU is not at it's limit but the RAM?

720942888_Screenshot(135).thumb.png.7c5089012ca6c1bcc7b63fc6092796c0.png

Thank you

Edited by Heciruam

A new cpu wont hurt, should be as simple as taking out the old, and putting in the new. 

(what socket are you running? 1151? 2011? 2011-v3?

What mobo?

I have to agree with the others here though first, ram is king, and you sir seem to be running short. 

'Part' of the high cpu usage, could be the fact the system is moving and caching memory to make more space available, and this takes cpu cycles to accomplish. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, tbonedude420 said:

(what socket are you running? 1151? 2011? 2011-v3?

What mobo?

I got the  MSI Z270-A PRO Intel Z270 So.1151

Well Then I guess I have to go buy that overpriced ram. I was hoping to avoid this. At least ram will be cheaper than a new CPU.

I will report back once I upgraded.

Thanks for the help everyone!

7 minutes ago, Heciruam said:

I got the  MSI Z270-A PRO Intel Z270 So.1151

Well Then I guess I have to go buy that overpriced ram. I was hoping to avoid this. At least ram will be cheaper than a new CPU.

I will report back once I upgraded.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Best advice I can give is use pcpartpicker.com and check prices from multiple vendors, and dont bother with memory frequency. Theres no visible difference to the average user when comparing ddr3 @ 1333 or ddr3 @ 2400. Same goes for ddr4. (ddr4 pushes the boundaries a bit, as its stock speed is 2133, and were already at last I checked 4500mhz)

Quantity > quality > frequency.

GBs > good brand > speed it runs at.  

16gb of ddr3 is about 100$ right now, so depending on the amount you need, you can roughly calculate it.