Newsgroup provider recommendations?

rutherford

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2018 at 9:13 PM, dkerlee said:

I've been getting more and more fails from astraweb. I've been with them for a few years now, and they've been good - anyone else still having a seamless experience with their providers?

thanks!

Your failures are probably not astraweb's fault - you can't get good completion nowadays with just just one provider.  You need a 2nd provider/block account. 

When providers get DMCA notices they don't remove the whole download, they only remove a portion to render the download useless.  But, each provider doesn't tend to remove the same section so if you have a 2nd account you can just download the missing section from that account:

The reason you would get a block account is so if your primary unlimited account is missing parts of something, you can (usually but not always) use your block account to get them. The block account should only be used as a backup when something isn't complete (Having multiple Usenet provider increase the chances of you being able to find all the files you need). That way you are not paying full price for two unlimited accounts. Block account server as a fill server (backup server - slave server). The fill server will only fill in a few articles that your master servers don't have.

you need to get a 2nd account not on Omicron who are the backbone for astraweb - https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/wiki/providers

e.g my setup is:

• level 1 - giganews (Giganews) unlimited - get about 60% of my files here
  • level 2 - Cubenet (Omicron) unlimited - get about 38% of my files here
  • level 3 - cheapnews (Cheapnews) 1TB block account - get about 2%

My 3 layer setup is a bit excessive as I could probably get away with 1 unlimited provider and a block account, but I get my giganews account for free and an unlimited Cubenet account costs me about £60 a year - which is cheaper than block accounts for my current usage levels.   I bought my cheapnews 18 months ago for around $60 when they had a deal and still have 250GB left.  They just had a stonking 2TB for 19 euros deal that I missed, so I've subscribed to their feed so I don't miss again as I'll need a top-up in a few months.

I'd recommend getting a block account on a non Omicron backbone to supplement your astraweb primary account - get a small one to test first if you're uncertain, but you'll see the value straightway.

https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/wiki/providerdeals

On 9/10/2018 at 9:46 PM, whipdancer said:

Seamless? No.

I use 4 different providers (Astraweb is one) because none have ever been seamless for me. 

Astraweb
Newsdemon
Usenetserver
Supernews

You're wasting money there as Astraweb, newsdemon and usenetserver are all on the same backbone Omicron.  You'd be better off ditching all three and buying a block from one and keeping the Supernews (giganews) unlimited, or keeping a Omicron unlimited and buying a Giganews block.

https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/wiki/providers

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, DZMM said:

you can't get good completion nowadays with just just one provider

I can't confirm that. I'm using Eweka since several years now as my only provider. In addition I use Eweka as my Supersearch NZB indexer (together with the Newzleecher software). I never had to look somewhere else.

Their servers are based in the Netherlands but they offer German and English support as well.

As an US citizen I would test them for a month to check the bandwidth. They feed 300 Mbit/s encrypted.

1 hour ago, hawihoney said:

I can't confirm that. I'm using Eweka since several years now as my only provider. In addition I use Eweka as my Supersearch NZB indexer (together with the Newzleecher software). I never had to look somewhere else.

Their servers are based in the Netherlands but they offer German and English support as well.

As an US citizen I would test them for a month to check the bandwidth. They feed 300 Mbit/s encrypted.

They are European based so less stringent with DMCA, but you've been very lucky to survive with one provider - you're probably getting new releases meaning you're getting content before it's removed

• Like 1
On 9/26/2018 at 6:50 AM, DZMM said:

You're wasting money there as Astraweb, newsdemon and usenetserver are all on the same backbone Omicron.  You'd be better off ditching all three and buying a block from one and keeping the Supernews (giganews) unlimited, or keeping a Omicron unlimited and buying a Giganews block.

https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/wiki/providers

Haven't checked in a couple of years. The list I used originally showed them as using different backbones (the whole reason for having multiples).

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, One2go said:

Wait till black Friday usually good deals available then or check out the link below.

That's a very good offer - hopefully something as good as this will be available next year when my TheCubenetNet subscription is up for renewal.

I'm on the lookout for a good block 1TB+ offer if anyone spots one

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...