Best way to move Media while keeping Plex added order?

I am getting kinda sick of how my movies are stored and would like to move them into a new share. I would also like to keep the order they were added in Plex. 

Add the new (empty) folders to Plex librarys > Turn off Plex > Use MC to move files > Start Plex?

or

Add the new (empty) folders to Plex librarys > Turn off Plex > Use MC to copy files > Start Plex > Delete old files?

Anyone done anything similar before? I have separate shares for SD, HD, UHD and Anime and find it annoying. I would like to consolidate it to one share with those folders in it + folders for collections.. Not sure its worth the effort lol

example KJBqZuf.png

So for example if you wanted to have a Movies share, and you had folders under that called Movies HD and Movies SD, then those would be at /mnt/user/Movies/Movies HD and /mnt/user/Movies/Movies SD. Then in your docker volume mappings, you would just use /mnt/user/Movies/Movies HD as the Host volume for the container volume /HD Movies, and as far as Plex is concerned, the HD Movies are exactly where they were before, in /HD Movies.

And so on. If you understand volume mappings then you should be able to figure out the rest of it. Let me know if you need further explanation.

• Like 1

Makes sense. Thanks. However pulling the movies out and into the collection folders would still alter the order no? I think if i copy those.. Plex will just add a second file (And the number 2) to each of those movies. Then i can delete the original ones and the order should remain the same.

Now i just need to decide if it's worth the trouble! lol. Purely cosmetic. I do like gaining the option to not include one of the collection folders (Like my Noir films) in the main library tho. 

EDIT: I'll just leave it. And possibly make a Movie Collections share :(

EDIT: Leaving it the way it is. Made a Movies Misc share where i can put stuff i want in separate librarys. Put my Noir films and UFC folders (the only way i can get UFC events to scan is to add them as movies) in there and it works OK enough :D

Edited by superderpbro
Just now, superderpbro said:

I understand. Just dosnt seem worth it. ID still have to mess around with almost 20 collection folders.

You'd only have to mess around with it as far as actually moving things on the host where you want, and changing the Plex volume mappings.

But there wouldn't be any of this

29 minutes ago, superderpbro said:

pulling the movies out and into the collection folders would still alter the order no? I think if i copy those.. Plex will just add a second file (And the number 2) to each of those movies. Then i can delete the original ones and the order should remain the same.

because everything would be exactly where it was as far as Plex knows.