Marvell Hard Disk Controller - Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

kingy444

It appears that your server has a Marvel based hard drive controller installed within it. Some users with Marvel based controllers exhibit random drives dropping offline, recurring parity errors during checks etc. This tends to be exacberated if VT-D / IOMMU is enabled in the BIOS. Generally, LSI based controllers would be preferred over Marvel based controllers because of these issues. Note that these issues are out of Limetech's hands. Depending upon the exact combination of hardware present in your server, you may not have any problems whatsoever. If you have no problems, then this warning can be safely ignored, but future versions of unRaid (and later Kernel versions) may (or may not) present you with the previously mentioned issues.	

The 'Fix Common Problems' plugin picked the above up after i installed a Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8.

I havent connected anything to it yet - hoping someone could help with this error as i bought this card for its plug and play reasons.

The card was bought from eBay so its possible a firmware flashing may have occured?

I've attached the syslog incase that helps at all

Edited by kingy444
Just now, itimpi said:

Not quite sure what sort of answer you are looking for.    The reason for that warning is that is one of the disk controllers that can randomly drop disks when used with v6.   Not everyone using that controller has problems so it is your decision as to whether to try and use it in your array.

🤦‍♂️

I bought it purely because i want something that just works - Our options are somewhat limited without forking out masses of cash in Australia.

Which card would be recommended for a simple plug and play?

2 minutes ago, Chris Pollard said:

I have used these controllers for many years in unRAID without any issues.  Recently I removed them to get extra performance but ymmv.

You can get H310's fairly cheap on eBay in my region (UK) but you have to flash those so maybe not what you are looking for.

Are the H310's what you migrated to? Are there any guides available for the flashing? I really just want to avoid parity issues

Yes the H310's are what I migrated too,  there is a good guide to flash them here on the forums,  I had to flash 4 of them but didn't have any trouble.  My main driver for buying that model was the price....   but I'm a tight bastard and don't mind using 2nd hand stuff. :)

As I said, I used AOC-SASLP-MV8's for years without any issues.

6 hours ago, kingy444 said:

The 'Fix Common Problems' plugin picked the above up after i installed a Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8.

Since unRAID 6 was released, many users have reported problems with Marvell-chipset-based controllers dropping drives from the array, especially if Vt-d or AMD-V/IOMMU (for virtualization/VMs) are enabled in the BIOS.  The chances of that card working without issue are increased if you don't enable virtualization, but, even so, it is best to not have to worry about it.

Before unRAID 6, the AOC-SASLP-MV8 was a very popular and recommended HBA.  Now the recommendation is to go with an LSI HBA or clones such as the Dell H310 or IBM M1015 cross-flashed to IT mode.

The Wiki definitely needs to be updated.  There is a lot of old information in many of the unRAID Wikis.

Edited by Hoopster

Here is a link to the LSI models that can be used:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/69018-sata-controller-replacement-question-and-advice/?tab=comments#comment-630097

Here in the USA, there are a lot of folks who are offering these LSI cards flashed to the IT Mode on E-bay,  You might try searching there and be sure that you include      IT mode    as a search parameter.   (Sometimes the IT mode flash cards are advertised as being FreeNAS compatible)  These would be plug-and-play.  You would want to look carefully at the reputation of the seller.  A lot of folks have avoided buying directly from China as there are some counterfeit LSI cards out there.