More cache on the parity drive a good thing?

craigr

I am not completely sure, but unraid might see the bigger cache drives as „smaller“ then the others. And so they would not work as parity drives.

i think I got that problem I a system I built for a friend, but don’t take my word for fact. 

I mostly post this answer to get someone with more knowledge to correct me if I am wrong :)

3 hours ago, craigr said:

I've got five more WD RED 8TB drives to install.  Some of the older ones have a 128MB cache while the newer ones have a 256MB cache.  All things being equal, is using a  higher cache drive for parity at all beneficial.  When compared to use in the array?

Thanks,

Craig

Theoretically yes. But even theoretically, the benefit is minimal.

42 minutes ago, Random.Name said:

I am not completely sure, but unraid might see the bigger cache drives as „smaller“ then the others. And so they would not work as parity drives.

i think I got that problem I a system I built for a friend, but don’t take my word for fact. 

I mostly post this answer to get someone with more knowledge to correct me if I am wrong :)

No, it doesnt work that way. The cache does not play any role in calculating capacity. I have seen various 4TB drives to have slightly different sizes in the past but it has nothing to do with how much cache they had.

• Like 1