Pass through of SATA Optical drive unreliable in the extreme

Hi,

I am evaluating unraid for my personal use at home.

My intention is to run my various services in docker images where possible and have a couple of VMs that I can run occasionally when i need to do other things.

One of the tasks I want to do int  VM is to be able to do backup media ripping, cd, dvd, blu ray inc UHD 4K HDR.  (My 3 year old is not very forgiving of physical media)

Booting win10 with the same hardware outside of unraid works faultlessly,

By following the various guides I seem to be able to get the pass thru of my ASUS BC12D2HT to a win10 VM in UNRAID work, but only for one boot.

The only way to get it to work is to copy the xml from the last VM to a new custom vm, change the UID and VM name and create a new one.

Also the SCSI address of the drive seems to jump around over time when unraid is fully restarted.  

So far I have seen it ar 2:0:0:0, 4:0:0:0, 5:0:0:0, 6:0:0:0 and 8:0:0:0.   This means I have to adapt the XML and move to a new vm again.

Is there any way to make this reliable and consistent?

Running all my services in docker under unraid is really attractive, but not if I have to shut it down and start replugging drives when I need to do specific tasks.

Please help

Jeff

Hi Jeff.

Need diagnostics. Cannot diagnose without diagnostics. Tools -> Diagnostics -> download the zip file and attach.

Also your description of the problem is confusing.

• You started talking about VM that for some reasons only works in 1 boot (which boot? unRAID boot? VM boot?) based on certain guides (which guide?).
  • You then said "Running all my services in docker under unraid is really attractive, but not if I have to shut it down and start replugging drives when I need to do specific tasks." - unRAID docker and VM are two entirely different thing.

Hi Jeff,

sorry, I can´t help you with pass through of BD device in your VM. I´m sure there is a docker named makemkv, this is one of my future projects in my backuptower. A few years ago I tinkered around with vortexbox, a Fedora-Linux based ripper using makemkv. Worked like a charm. So my suggestion is, try the docker with makemkv or try a VM with vortexbox.

https://wiki.vortexbox.org/available_images

I know, the last image is 3 years old. But give it a try.

http://makemkv.com/

Hope, you like this suggestion.

Edited by hitman2158
grammar