What is "rpc.statd"?

tayshserve

Will post my system logs if they are necessary but this is more of a general question I'm looking to get answered to help me solve a problem with a Docker container. I've actually posted for help in the Container specific thread, but figured I would ask here as I'm looking for some more generalized information.

Basically I'm trying to start the OpenVPN-as Docker and running into issues when it tries to start up it's web server. It's trying to start something up on port `984` – this generates an error as something is already running on that port.

Here's what is running on that port:

COMMAND    PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
rpc.statd 1656  rpc    5u  IPv4   8965      0t0  UDP tower:984

What is `rpc.statd`? Some quick Googling points to something related to NFS but I'm not actually running NFS right now. If this isn't something that can be stopped, is it possible that the port it uses can be configured? I'm starting to think that this problem isn't related to the container itself since it seems like no one else is running into the issue that I have.

For science, here's the error that the Container spits out when I try to start it up

2018-09-12 16:16:20-0700 [-] PortPool: port 984: [Errno 98] Address already in use: util/sock:199,python2.7/socket:228 (socket.error)

Any information y'all can offer would be great! Again, I know this is kind of double posted but I'm looking for more information about what `rpc.statd` does rather than direct help trying to fix this container.

Thanks!