Finally upgraded internet bandwidth today

9 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Brain dead or just plain rude customer service and tech support?

That is actually a high number of my contacts with company employees, 80% I imagine. I first called 2 weeks ago looking into the service. They wanted 135/mo plus 25/mo for no cap plus a 100 dollar tech visit “to check my lines and make sure they can handle it.” I asked for technical details of checking my lines, and how their techs in India can determine signal strength I’m receiving from there but yet they need to send someone out and charge me. All I got back was attitude so I asked to be transferred to their business department. Their business department tried to interrogate me on my “belief that I needed  gig speed” because “I have lots of business that do just fine with a 75/15 plan.” I asked again for a gig quote and they quoted me a 100mbps package with a phone that I didn’t ask for. So they got hung up on ad well. 

Yesterday it was a 5 minute call, super sweet/easy rep, 20 bucks more a month (total 69/mo) with no cap and no tech visit.

and their first 2 levels of tech support are like talking to random people on the street about planetary physics.

4 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Excellent download speed but is that only 39Mbps upload? Doesn't look proportional, what are the contracted speeds?

It’s not proportional ootb sadly, at the moment. The contacted speeds are 1000/35 but over the course of the next week or so, I’ll work my way up the technician ladder and get someone to increase upload. They can do it, but only if you pester them enough and find he right person. Shouldn’t have to be that way, but welcome to Comcast!

6 minutes ago, testdasi said:

It's less teeth grinding this side of the pond. Gigabit symmetrical for about £40/m and 150mbps symmetrical for £25. Supposedly promotional "one-time only" prices but I have been on various "one-time only" deals for years now. Each deal is one-time only but they are all the same. 😂

Not in all areas though @testdasi no way I could get that where I am, although I have benefited a lot from the Openreach/Government efforts to provide superfast broadband to rural areas.  Gone from 8mbps to 330mbps in three years.

4 hours ago, testdasi said:

It's less teeth grinding this side of the pond. Gigabit symmetrical for about £40/m and 150mbps symmetrical for £25. Supposedly promotional "one-time only" prices but I have been on various "one-time only" deals for years now. Each deal is one-time only but they are all the same. 😂

you're very lucky to get FTTP in the UK.  I'm also one of the lucky few with availability, although at nowhere near your prices!  I'm paying £54 for 200/200 with 1Gbps available for £77.  Decided to save my money as I can only upload to Google at around 9MB/s (I've got over 2/3 of my media on google now via rclone), so I've gone from my ISP being the bottleneck to now providers! I could probably do with another 100Mbps download when my activity is high, but my traffic shaping means I don't really notice.

18 hours ago, 1812 said:

why does everyone dump on Comcast again?

We have fiber in our neighborhood.  I can get  100/100 for $50, 250/250 for $65 or 1000/1000 for $78 all with no caps.  These are dedicated fiber lines to each home.

Comcast does not have competitive pricing in my city.  In fact they cost more for less.  I cannot even get equivalent service from Comcast.

Comcast offers 400/40 as the highest speed for $85, their 250/30 service is $70 and their 150/25 service is $55 (1TB cap on all tiers).  Prices may somewhat improve as a bundle with TV service, but, I have many better options for that as well through various streaming TV services.

My kids have all had to deal with Comcast in their cities as it is often the only viable option.  They hate dealing with them on anything (customer support is horrendous) and again, they pay a lot for spotty service. In the evening, because it is a shared service, speeds drop significantly below contracted speeds.

I am truly grateful that I have options other than Comcast.

Edited by Hoopster
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/14/2018 at 1:29 PM, TType85 said:

AT&T ran fiber through my neighborhood last year and I was on it like a fat kid on cake.  1000/1000 for $70/mo no caps. I was on Time Warner (Spectrum) and was paying $80/mo for 300/20.

This right here. I have AT&T gig service at my apartment (1000/1000) for $70/month, no caps. It's amazing - the last speed test I ran with the speedtest docker had me at 971 down/1104 up lol. I've never run into any outages or issues with AT&T, so far their Gig service has been great. I've never had to reach out to their tech support so can't really say how they might compare to Comcast.