Extremely poor gaming performance on Ryzen

squark

I've recently swapped from a 4790k to a 2800x. Even when dedicating half the cores/threads to a single vm, I'm unable to get the frame rate for fortnite above 120fps. In heavy parts of the map, it struggles with 60fps. On native, these parts run at around 140fps and the rest around 250.

The gpu isn't hitting max utilization (around 30-50%) and I think it's being cpu bottlenecked, however cpu usage sits around 60% so I'm confused as to what is causing this lack of performance. 

Im experiencing similar problems with games that are CPU dependent (World of Warcraft in my case). The performance of the CPU seems to be the bottleneck (I have a Threadripper 1950 OC to 3875 Hz and a 1080 ). I've tried a lot of things with CPU pinning / isolating but nothing really helped to improve the fps. The game still runs like it's palyed on a PC from 5 years ago :-) .

However, this game is also known to be very CPU dependent and not being very well optimized for newer CPUs...

8 hours ago, squark said:

I've recently swapped from a 4790k to a 2800x. Even when dedicating half the cores/threads to a single vm, I'm unable to get the frame rate for fortnite above 120fps. In heavy parts of the map, it struggles with 60fps. On native, these parts run at around 140fps and the rest around 250.

The gpu isn't hitting max utilization (around 30-50%) and I think it's being cpu bottlenecked, however cpu usage sits around 60% so I'm confused as to what is causing this lack of performance. 

What cores did you pin? 4-7 + 12-15? If so try

• Pinning 2-3,6-7,10-11,14-15
  • Keep 4-7 + 12-15 but put your GPU on a different slot

If I understand the diagram correctly (https://en.wikichip.org/w/images/7/75/amd_zen_octa-core_die_shot_(annotated).png) each die has 2 CCX with each having 16 PCIe lane connected to it. So it's quite possible that the bottleneck isn't CPU or GPU but latency having to constantly jump over a CCX to get to the GPU.

3 hours ago, Symon said:

Im experiencing similar problems with games that are CPU dependent (World of Warcraft in my case). The performance of the CPU seems to be the bottleneck (I have a Threadripper 1950 OC to 3875 Hz and a 1080 ). I've tried a lot of things with CPU pinning / isolating but nothing really helped to improve the fps. The game still runs like it's palyed on a PC from 5 years ago 🙂 .

However, this game is also known to be very CPU dependent and not being very well optimized for newer CPUs...

Threadripper is quite different from Ryzen in term of optimisation. Try spreading your pins out across all 2 dies and 4 CCX (something like 3,7,11,15,19,23,27,31). Alternatively, pin only the cores that are connected directly to your GPU.

The latter will give you best theoretical performance but does involve a bit of trial and error. The former at least reduces some jumping and easy to do and test.

32 minutes ago, testdasi said:

Threadripper is quite different from Ryzen in term of optimisation. Try spreading your pins out across all 2 dies and 4 CCX (something like 3,7,11,15,19,23,27,31). Alternatively, pin only the cores that are connected directly to your GPU.

The latter will give you best theoretical performance but does involve a bit of trial and error. The former at least reduces some jumping and easy to do and test.

I already used manajro as recommended by 3flappp to identify which die my GPU is connected to. Unfortunately, there wasn't much improvement in this for the Game performance. However, I still dont know if I can optimize the RAM for this as well. I think they are talking in this thread about it.

I think the biggest improvement can be achieved by rising the frequency of the CPU to a higher level which can only be achieved right now through overclocking the base CPU frequency. Unfortunately, I'm worried that my system will overheat / get unstable.

It would be nice if this would get fixed so the internal frequency governor would work properly in UnRaid for Ryzen / Threadripper.

Running the vm on 0-7 with unraid pinned to 8-9 has almost resolved it. The performance isn't quite 100%, but runs at 80 fps at worst and normally around 140 fps which is far better than it was initially. GPU load is around 95% once the textures have finished loading in which would probably indicate this is as good as I'm gonna get performance wise i would imagine. Its still lacking 30% of native, but is playable.

Edited by squark
32 minutes ago, squark said:

Running the vm on 0-7 with unraid pinned to 8-9 has almost resolved it. The performance isn't quite 100%, but runs at 80 fps at worst and normally around 140 fps which is far better than it was initially. GPU load is around 95% once the textures have finished loading in which would probably indicate this is as good as I'm gonna get performance wise i would imagine. Its still lacking 30% of native, but is playable.

How do you pin unRAID to 8-9?

• 2 years later...