Parity drive at beginning of build

RxLord

1 hour ago, RxLord said:

Does a parity drive have to Parity-Sync/data rebuild when I am just starting new build? I find this strange because there is no data on any array disk.

Parity has no idea if the disks are empty or not as it works at physical sector level.   It therefore always created from scratch when you first add a parity disk.

8 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Forgot to mention, the exception is if all disks have been precleared you can check "parity is already valid" before starting the array for the first time and avoid the parity sync.

I agree that is true, but since many people do not know the difference between an empty disk and a pre-cleared disk I would be reluctant to give that as a recommended way to proceed to a novice user unless one was going to almost immediately run a parity check to ensure no mistakes had been made (and in that case one might as well do the Parity Sync).

15 minutes ago, itimpi said:

I agree that is true, but since many people do not know the difference between an empty disk and a pre-cleared disk I would be reluctant to give that as a recommended way to proceed to a novice user unless one was going to almost immediately run a parity check to ensure no mistakes had been made (and in that case one might as well do the Parity Sync).

Yes, good point.