Stale Config (again!)

So, not touching this damn array this time...

I have had:
Parity + 5 Data Disks for a while... I just pre-cleared 2 disks (one fine, added to array, the other not getting past the unraid signature step onto the post-read, left it alone).

I now have Parity + 6 Data Disks. I ran: 

nohup cp -r /mnt/disk5 /mnt/disk6 &

It started and then failed with a "segmentation fault" ... I look to the Main page and see disk missing (disabled, contents emulated) but there's nothing on it yet.

I've rebooted a couple of times, all of the disks have been detected (i.e. show up in lsblk) but now I've got a missing disk and a disabled disk -_- 

I'm suspecting a slightly dodgy PCIe to SATA card but can't be sure.

Just don't want to screw up my array for obvious reasons ;) (not twice in a couple of weeks 😧)... 

---------

I've attached a diag bundle, one where disk6 was disabled (after the attempt to cp data to it) that's 0843

And another one from now, where I've got a missing disk4 for some damn reason - Just checking what port it's plugged into RIGHT. 0941

So the crappy marvel 4 port has 3 HDDs:

(serial ending)

* E067

* C2L1

* JDJ3

That last one is fine.. But the first 2 connected to that card have gone tits up!

raptor-diagnostics-20180915-0843.zip

raptor-diagnostics-20180915-0941.zip

Considering buying this:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/10Gtek-Internal-Express-Controller-SAS2008/dp/B01M2AC40Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1537007716&sr=8-1&keywords=SAS+controller+HBA

And flashing it to IT mode:

ftp://ftp.supermicro.nl/driver/SAS/LSI/2008/IR_IT/Firmware/IT/

(Use supermicro's FTP site to flash the LSI 3008 to IT mode all the time at work)

------

I've got 4hrs left to get this on Prime tomorrow (Sunday 16th) along with a SAS to SATA breakout cable...

I know the disks are fine, they're brand new and underwent a preclear. It's not impossible for it to have failed, sure... But I'm strongly leaning towards the cheapo SATA card (https://www.scan.co.uk/products/lycom-pe-120-ahci-sata-iii-6gbps-internal-4-port-low-profile-pcie-20-host-adapter)

Based on this; the 3 disks connected to it had 'errors' on the Unraid Main tab the second that I began to `cp` from disk5 to disk6 (errors appeared on disk4/5/6) and now here I am, a vanished disk4 & a disabled disk6!

I don't want to start mixing drives around... I have screenshots of the assignments so that's ok.

There's no spare ports, that card has been running with 1 disk on it for a over a year - seems that the moment I add a 2nd and then 3rd drive that it's showing 'weakness' :D great...

I only have 6 onboard SATA + the 4 from this card. I've got no other HBAs or SATA cards, etc. etc. Hence why I'm considering the LSI card so I can hook all the HDDs up to a (hopefully much more solid) card and get the array started again...

@johnnie.black Hey :)

LSI card arrived, installed, flashed to IT mode, everything detected again... However I still get errors on Disk6 as soon as I stick it into the array 🤔

It passed a single preclear run with no errors but it hates being in the array - I'm doing another preclear but wanted to start my array and make it safe!

So... I've set "No device" for disk6 - the contents will be emulated and thus if I experienced a REAL disk failure whilst in that state - I'd be screwed (right?)

I had no data on disk6 so I'm not fussed about emulating an empty 3TB drive ;)

Am I correct in thinking I can take a screenshot now of the assignments, go to tools > New config and 'restart' with parity + disk1-5 and be in the green again? And let this preclear run in the background before I think about adding disk6 again? :) 

Cheers!!

Turns out it was two DOA WD's, after I ripped them out of the array and started prodding at them some more via Preclear & even Windows they started to show signs of badness! 😂

WD agreed and are shipping some brand new drives out to replace these, yay...

Guess I can't close a thread here :D But 'problem solved' ... I'm incredibly unlucky and now I've got an LSI HBA card, win win I suppose 🤷‍♂️

• 2 years later...