Win10 VM Lockup Issue

Nasha

Hi unraiders!

So this VM is my existing PC SSD passed through block level, GPU passed through, and a USB controller passed through and after all those little joys, it freezes, basically when i'm not using it, but it appears to correlate with a disk in the array spinning down. 1 core is pegged at 100% and it needs a force shutdown to bring it back.

So i disabled spindown in Disk settings, but one of the plugins is controlling it somewhere because it happened again within 5min of me last using the VM via RDP.

Diagnostics attached - Let me know if i can provide you with anything else. I also can't enable USB 3.0 on this VM, but i'll log that once this is sorted.

Appreciate the help if someones got time to look into it :)

Nasha

yoda-diagnostics-20180915-2136.zip

23 hours ago, lionelhutz said:

I had my VM's start to do stupid things. It was a bad USB card I was passing through. It did work, but was still causing issues.

Did it leave any footprints, or you traced it to USB via trial and error?

It seems to becoming clockwork like, so i'll know pretty quickly whether it's the USB card or not so i'll give it a shot.

Cheers,

Nash

2 hours ago, testdasi said:

I had a look yesterday but didn't find anything out of the ordinary that could cause instability so decided not to reply.

If I have to guess, I would suspect RAM and/or PSU problems. Both can cause inexplicable instability.

Thanks for letting me know :) - I came to much the same conclusion myself, i was unable to see anything so thats when i call in the cavalry!

PSU is brand new (installation preceeded the VM creation by weeks) - Doesn't mean it doesn't have a fault of course. I am powering a number of devices off only 2 SATA rails, but certainly nothing that would overload any aspects of the PSU.

All said and done, absolutely everything else works fine with the exception of this quasi-VM. I suspect that between the block level SSD passthrough, GPU passthrough, and the fact i plucked an SSD from a PC and booted it into a KVM environment - one of them is throwing a fit, but nothing indicates an error. 

It just occurred to me that i can remove the GPU passthrough as a test measure before resorting to a reinstall - That will at least rule that out any GPU quirks, as it's still not a perfect science (unsafe interrupts needed enabling, i'll remove this with the GPU). I'll report back if for nothing more than trying to see this through to resolution.

From there if issues continue, a fresh installation onto block level storage and work my way back up from there.

Process of elimination sucks!

Edited by Nasha

No, there were no indications. It was process of elimination. I started installing Windows using VNC and it worked, but installing with the GPU and USB cards would not. So, I narrowed it down to the USB card.

I doubt it's the core system or else you'd be seeing issues with unRAID itself being unstable. At one time I had hard lock-ups happening too without any indications of why and had to buy a new power supply and then a new motherboard taking shots at what could be the issue. Luckily, it was the motherboard. But then, before even that I had upgraded to an AMD system to have enough power to use a simple VM and then found I couldn't install the drivers for both the iGOU or dGPU in the Windows VM. No way, no how, trying every recommended step to make either work. Ended up buying an Intel platform and got that bad motherboard. Isn't this server stuff fun?  I easily went through 500 into parts before I got a system that was stable. Luckily, I did re-purpose some of it.